icon

how do i add an amp to a 2004 cavalier?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

When I bought the harness for my aftermarket headunit, the instructions inside stated that the airbags run through the radio. I dont know what the radio has to do with them, but this is what the instructions said. I also have one of those Haynes manuals and it even states in there to always disconnect the airbag fuse and connecters before working on the steering wheel,  passenger airbag, radio, or sensors. It also shows you where the connectors are located. If the radio doesnt have a thing to do with the airbags, then why are their warnings about it in the manual and in those instructions? I know the wire for the airbags runs through the radio because the wire is a yellow/red wire.

I did not delete my airbags. You need to have the car off before you pull the fuse and unplug the connectors. You can then remove the factory radio. If you were to turn the car on with the fuse and connectors inplace, when your car does the airbag check, it senses that they deployed because the radio is yanked out. Your airbag indicated on your instrument cluster will flash 7 times and then go out  if the system is clear.

I just look at it this way. The only way you can say I am wrong is to remove your factory radio without disconnecting anything else. Then start your car and tell me if the airbag light flashes 7 times.

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
The side post extenter bolts are a good idea if you plan on adding more accesories in the future. You can only really fit one more lug under the factory bolt. They're not that long, so even with one other lug under it you have to be careful not to strip out the lead.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
The factory radios do not send a deploy signal. When I was doing my studing about the cavalier radios and newer gm radios, i called every aftermarket harness company. Everyone pretty much said, It could but were not sure so we put the warnings in there to cover our asses. In the cavaliers the only thing is door chime. that is it. I don't know how many radios I've done in cavaliers(+50) and have never disconnected a airbag and have never seen the airbag light flash 7 times. Its a load of croc.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
Wait so you are saying that when you start the car, the airbag light indicater doesnt flash 7 times and then turn off? I really think you need glasses. You obviously dont know much about Cavaliers with the statement you just posted. Yea I only worked on 3 cavalier's, but I know them inside and out. The Haynes manual even talks about the light indicater. So you want to test your knowledge against them? I am just telling you what I know. The indicater flashes 7 times when the airbags are fault free. Anything other than that means they have a problem with me. If the radio has nothing to do with the airbags, then do please explane why the airbag wire runs in and out of the radio?
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. I've never seen it happen. And I have looked at the instrament cluster while pulling out the radios. If I want I'll even tape the next cavalier I do to proveit. So far your the only one that has been on here claming this happens. I've been installing radios professionaly for over 3 years and have done countless radios and have never seen an airbag light flash7 times. And I'm sure that everyelse who has been doing this can say the same thing.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok then do this. Turn the ignition on or start the car (whichever you want). Some of the indication lights will turn on for a few seconds and turn off. The airbag indicater will flash 7 times and then turn off. If your airbag light doesnt come on, doesnt flash 7 times, or just stays on, then your airbags arent working. If you think I am bullcrapping you, go right ahead and tape the next cavalier you work on. I would love to see it. Just make sure its a 2000+ cavalier
incrediblyrad 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2007 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
Where do you punch through the firewall in a 93 Cavalier to run the actual powerwire through? I took a quick look and didn't see any breaks without taking the dash off.
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2007 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Try looking up behind the driverside where the steering column runs through the firewall. There should be some wire loom running through in that general area.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2007 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
You may want to think twice about believing everything you read Audioman. You are correct that when the ignition is turned on, the airbag light flashes 7 times and will then go out as long as there are no problems with the SIR system. If there is a problem the light will stay on. All this is controlled by a module under the passenger seat. It is the restraint sensing and diagnostic module. The only thing that it has in common with the radio is that it is in the same car and runs off the same electrical system. Years ago vehicle manufacturers decided that airbag systems must be independant of all other systems, so that if another system has a problem, in won't affect the airbags. There isn't a yellow/red wire in the radio harness. The reason that service manuals state that you must disable the airbags when working aorund them is simply for your safety. Even though you disconnect the battery and pull the fuse, the airbag still has a capacitance charge in it. This charge can effectively last many weeks unless it is discahrged correctly. When you unplug the yellow connector to complete the airbag disable process, a shorting clip inside the connector actually shorts the two wires going to the airbag. This discharges the caps in the airbag and makes it safe to handle. You may have learned alot while working on a few Cavaliers. I have learned alot too after working on a few thousand of them and have taken many training courses from GM. I tend to believe them over Haynes. Remember that there are many people who will try and take shortcuts and for liability reasons any company that tells you how to work on a car will always follow strict safety rules for fear of liability lawsuits. I commend you for using the radio delete module, as I will not replace any radio in a vehicle that requires one without using one or relocating the radio. Another key feature that people forget about is that the chimes also are designed to alert people about critical vehicle problems and that they may not be wearing their seatbelts. If seatbelts aren't used the airbags can cause personal injury. This fact is usually listed on a sticker on the sunvisor. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Continue to properly disable the airbags when working around them and always encourage others to.
sparky
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2007 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
Hey. I am not trying to say that I know everything about Cavaliers. Ive always been taught "better be safe than sorry". That is the reason why I always pull the fuse and connectors before working on the factory radio. I was told that from a car audio store at which I have been dealing with for over 8 years. Now I trust them in what they tell me, and then I pass it on to others. I have only installed aftermarket headunits in 3 cavalier's and in doing so, I have pulled the fuse and connectors all 3 times. I have no had any problems with anything happening with the airbags. So I will continue to do so. I honestly dont know if that is a myth or not. But I am also not going to give it a try and "possibly" have something go wrong. There is nothing wrong with me giving that information as a safety tip. It might not matter but atleast I know for a fact that nothing will go wrong.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic