icon

how do i add an amp to a 2004 cavalier?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct and have a good rule. It is always better to proceed with caution and follow all safety rules. It may take a few moments longer, but it will save a lot of nightmares and things going wrong. That advice is sometimes learned the hard way be too many installers.
sparky
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

As an experianced installer and a previous owner of a 2003 Chev Cavalier, the airbag nonsense is just that, nonsense, the relocate kit for the factory stereo or the aftermarket bypass (GMCO) all it does it give a doorchime, and retained accesory power (deck shuts off when door is opened) thats it.

Now, most installation shops wont do decks in these GM's unless either a relocate or the GMCO is used, i however did not beleive the airbag nonsense when i went to put a deck in, and simply hardwired the aftermarket deck to my factory harness, and guess what?  NOTHING, other than no doorchime - really who cares?

the airbags, abs, all safety features still functioning properly, how do i know these are all still functioning properly?

well:

1. no warning lights on dash, everything should be working ok

2. ABS works, had to slam on brakes a few times in the winter... ok cool

3. airbags still deployed when i got rear ended and pushed into a cement barrier.

so other than that. beleive what you want.

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Best Buy Deerfoot Meadows
Calgary, AB, Canada
y2j514 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, this whole discussion has sort of got me sitting on the fence here.  I just bought a 97 Sunfire SE.  I am going to install an aftermarket head unit into the car.  If I simply disconnect the neg. term. on the battery and disconnect the SIR system; then replace the head unit...will I lose any functionability.  Does the lack of a door chime apply to the earlier years?  If it does disable the door chime or anything else, what must I buy/do to avoid this happening? (I am assuming that the Cavalier and Sunfire are wired the same way.)
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
You don't have to worry with your 97. Just buy a normal wiring harness hook up your radio like normal. If you want to be safe you can unhook your negative battery terminal but there really isn't a need for that.
y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
oh, i always disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.  Especially because I will be installing a capacitor and 2 amplifiers.  But one question....i've hooked up my aftermarket head unit into 3 other cars already...by a "normal wiring harness" do you mean the one that comes with the head unit when you buy the thing?  Like the plastic connector (with wires) that plugs into the back of the unit?  Thanks btw.
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
I was refering to the plastic connector you buy seperatly for like $18. It makes it a lot easier and cleaner.
y2j514 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, ok...thank you!  Im glad I dont have anything to worry about!  Newer cars seem like more of a pain than anything
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
One note especially to 410440. If your door chimes and such no longer work, your car may not pass a safety inspection if you need one. Just because you can't see any problems doesn't mean there aren't any. This point is especially true if a vehicle is still under factory warranty. Ignorance is not bliss.
sparky
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
sparky3489?
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  

yea i agree with you, although the cav i had would never pass an inspection now as its written off...

lol

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Best Buy Deerfoot Meadows
Calgary, AB, Canada
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic