icon

turbo timer, astro start 3106

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Spaceman838 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
First off, I have an Astro Start Remote Starter/Security System (3106) that was installed by the dealer when I purchased the vehicle.
Today I installed an Apexi Turbo Timer and for whatever reason my door locks do not open or close via the remote. The alarm activates and deactivates when I press the lock or unlock button, but it does not trigger the door locks themselves.
It's weird because even when the turbo timer is off and I shut my doors and hit the lock button on the remote, the alarm activates but it does not trigger the door locks to close.
I installed the Turbo Timer by following a How To on a local forum for my specific vehicle...
Apexi Turbo Timer to Vehicle
Red wire (12v)............Red wire in steering column
Black wire (Ground)..........Chassis ground
Blue wire (IGN Out 1)............Black w/ white stripe in steering column
Green wire (IGN out 2)..........Sky Blue wire in steering column
Grey wire (Brake Switch)...........White w/ black stripe wire connected to hand brake
Any ideas as to why my door locks don't trigger anymore?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

Your astro unit can serve as a turbo timer. The idea behind this timer is to let things "cool down" correct? On the astro unit you can set the run time for as little as 2 min. or as long as 18 min. When you get to where your going simply push the starter button on the transmitter get out, lock the doors and walk away. When it times out it will shut down and be locked armed and safe.

What kind of vehicle?

Spaceman838 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

Your astro unit can serve as a turbo timer. The idea behind this timer is to let things "cool down" correct? On the astro unit you can set the run time for as little as 2 min. or as long as 18 min. When you get to where your going simply push the starter button on the transmitter get out, lock the doors and walk away. When it times out it will shut down and be locked armed and safe.

What kind of vehicle?

You are correct. The only thing is that I have a manual transmission, so to do it via the astro start it's a long process and gets annoying after a while. I have to leave the car in neautral, hit the brake, pull the hand brake up once, down, and back up again, and then I have to hit the start button on the remote, and then I can take the key out and leave.
With the turbo timer, I just leave it as is (set at 2 min), pull the key out and I'm done.
The car is a 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4.
But do you know why my door trigger via the remote might not work anymore? And troubleshooting ideas? Thank you.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
did ya tap into ANY of the astro wires? esp. the ground? here is a 6 pin harness blu/brown wires. see if the input side is still grounded, and the output side is going through a copuple of resistors. when you hit lock and unlock you should hear the relays clicking in the astro unit. If they don't hmmm guess I never had that happen... Lock and unlock are dedicated to only that function, so it cant really be a programing error. Unless the keysense wire may be seing something and not allowoing the doors to lick because it thinks the key is in the ign without having powr to the rest of the unit. [feature so you don't lock the keys in the car...]
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
Spaceman838 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Hymer wrote:
did ya tap into ANY of the astro wires? esp. the ground? here is a 6 pin harness blu/brown wires. see if the input side is still grounded, and the output side is going through a copuple of resistors. when you hit lock and unlock you should hear the relays clicking in the astro unit. If they don't hmmm guess I never had that happen... Lock and unlock are dedicated to only that function, so it cant really be a programing error. Unless the keysense wire may be seing something and not allowoing the doors to lick because it thinks the key is in the ign without having powr to the rest of the unit. [feature so you don't lock the keys in the car...]
That's what I was thinking. That the Astro unit may be thinking that the key is still in the ignition and it won't let me lock the doors. Would you know if I could disable that feature on the Astro unit myself, or does it need to be done at a service shop?
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
Nothing in he programing that I know of, Kar Tune might chime in with something. The manual sates this " this input prevents locking of the doors during automatic rearming of the alarm if the key is in the ign. Oly required if semipassive or passive arming is selected at stage 1 levle14 or ehn rearming OEM security is enabled in stage 1 lvl4"   You can try this dip switches 234 up hit the brake, flip switches back down hit the brake. that will set it to active arming so he keysense won't matter. Or disconnect the keysense wire. The keysense wire at the car is lite blue [ign harness] when the key is in the ign it should show a ground. Small Yellow on the astro unit is keysense. I would double check where ya tapped the turbo timer in though, if it worked before ya put it in, then something is spliced into something it shouldn't be.
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
Spaceman838 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
I tried my remote that came standard with the car and that one does trigger the unlock and unlock.
Spaceman838 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I tried the 2,3,4 dip switch procedure and nothing. I removed the key sense wire and nothing.
So I completely removed the turbo timer, I took off every single wire that was connected to the car from the turbo timer and I tried to lock the car and the doors did not trigger!
The alarm still activates and deactivates via the remote but it does not trigger the door locks to open or close? Any idea what may have happened?
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
check  the wires that are connected to the locks....sometimes its loose...it shouldn't of gotten loose if it was solder but hey doesnt hurt looking for those wires.
Spaceman838 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
enice wrote:
check the wires that are connected to the locks....sometimes its loose...it shouldn't of gotten loose if it was solder but hey doesnt hurt looking for those wires.
No idea as to what color those may be?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic