pt cruiser factory subwoofer ground

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bostonboy 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

hello all,

currently have a 2001 chrysler pt cruiser with factory single cd/radio and have installed the factory subwoofer available from chrysler.

for some reason, i am getting a problem with the unit causing the radio and sub sound to cut out for a fraction of a second whenever there is a draw on the battery. if i have the wipers on, each time they start up i lose sound for a second. same when i hit the brakes (brakelight), power windows , etc.

i have rechecked all grounds. tried wiring the power to the amp away from the radio (instructions call for it to be powered off the cigar lighter located on the console). have removed grounds, and reinstalled.

the problem occurs after the sub and radio have been on for a few minutes, or when the unit is really cranked up.

i have disconnected the power and ground to the sub and the problem still occurs, which leads me to believe it must be the harness connection somehow, or a grounding condition.

currently there are two wiring harnesses that plug into the back of the factory cd/radio, with a separate power feed and ground attached to the radio back.

the amplifier/sub power off a relay attached to the harness. it seems as if the ground off the relay may not be doing anything (unit seems to work whether it is grounded or not,  possibly because the radio is grounded separately?)

if anyone can suggest other things for me to check, it would be most appreciated.

the factory sub is the 80watt model, not the 2001 50 watt model, so a metra harness is used to tap into the right and left rear negative speaker leads.

thank you in advance.

dave

boston dave
classic rides.
wire4veins 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
If I read you right when you disconnect the power and ground to the sub you still have a problem. If that is the case it could be a signal problem, whereever the sub gets signal. I beleive you mentioned the rear spks as a signal source. Try disconnecting the taps there.
wire4veins
"D"
Precision Autosound - Owner
MECP Master Installer
patriot_blue 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hey bostonboy

Just to let you know your not alone.... I have a 2001 PT Cruiser (although right hand drive, (from Australia))  I too have the exact same problem as you have with the subwoofer/radio....and I mean EXACT.....I have tried different configs but still no change...I even hooked the thing direct to the battery...without success...this is the wiring layout

Sub Harness        Original car harness
1 Antenna     Green                    Not connected
2 LR+           BROWN / Yellow         BROWN / Yellow
3 RR+          Blue/White             Blue/White
4 LF+                                       GREEN/ Purple
5 RF+                                       Purple
6 LR-            BROWN / Blue           BROWN / Blue
7RR-            Blue/Orange          Blue/Black

Red to                 Red on Relay to Power 12volt (87)
                    Red to                 Equipment (30)
                    Green to              Yellow on Relay to antenna (86)
                    Black to               Green on Relay to earth  (85)

If anyone could please assist it will be most appreciated

regards

Patriot Blue

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic