icon

fiberglass box and mdf box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
roo-dog 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2007 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
  other things to take into consideration:   i don't see any info on what kind of power you have running your subs.  does the amp match up well with the subs, allowing you to get the most out of them.(?)   the other thing, too, would be the type of vehicle.  that is, what kind of obstructions are between the subs and the front windows.  heavy leather seats take a lot more to push sound through  than, lets say, smaller, cloth seats. 
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
giponu 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2007 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
roo-dog wrote:
   other things to take into consideration:   i don't see any info on what kind of power you have running your subs. does the amp match up well with the subs, allowing you to get the most out of them.(?)   the other thing, too, would be the type of vehicle. that is, what kind of obstructions are between the subs and the front windows. heavy leather seats take a lot more to push sound through than, lets say, smaller, cloth seats.
my badd.. nar my amp isnt pumpin enuf to the subs.. the subs are 400w rms. and im only feeding it 150w rms. from my amp.each sub. i have 2 subs. and the amp is 600w peak and my subs are 1000w peak. and my amp is a 4 channel set on LPF.. it sounds pretty loud in the car..
-[ g.i.p.o.n.u ]-
roo-dog 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2007 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
  ok, more to work with...   well, obviously, you could get a little bigger amp.  but if you go that route you will have to be more careful seting the gains as to not overpower the subs.  i like the pioneer sound (for the money), but the ones you have are not spl subs.  you can also try building a box closer to the max recommended volume for those speakers.  you will probably get a little more sound (especially low freq).  the downfall is that you will lose some of the power handling of the subs- not a concern in your current situation.   an easier, cheaper way to do a similar test to see if it will help; stuff the boxes with poly fill from walmart or wherever.  may be worth a try.
(4)g5-1244, (4)gtr12, (2)ppipcx2400, (1)pcx4125, (1)pc4800.2, (3) pair mb quart 6.5"Q, (4)optimas, alumapro (1)5 and(1)15 farad cap, premier deh-p860mp, pioneer xm -dual H.O. alternators
giponu 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2007 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
SPL subwoofer is???
issert the subs that have 2 sets of cables that can be connected to them?
-[ g.i.p.o.n.u ]-
roo-dog 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2007 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
  well, by "spl subs", i mean, high power handling, competition subs, that's all.  subs are usually separated into two categories:  spl (high power handling, high output, etc. ), or sq (sound quality, not just loud). 
imaxspl 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2007 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

A ported box will give you smooth response over a long range of frequencies, but with less accuracy and lower power handling(SPL) It wont get that really deep sounding bass that  a sealed box can produce.  Make sure you tune the port correct, unless you want your subs doing the harlem shake.  If your going for sq do the sealed, if your tring to wiz your neibors off do the port. for the 12 in  i think u need to slot load you port.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2007 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
imaxspl wrote:

A ported box will give you smooth response over a long range of frequencies, but with less accuracy and lower power handling(SPL) It wont get that really deep sounding bass that a sealed box can produce. Make sure you tune the port correct, unless you want your subs doing the harlem shake. If your going for sq do the sealed, if your tring to wiz your neibors off do the port. for the 12 in i think u need to slot load you port.

sorry but this whole post is basically incorrect.
A ported box can sound better, louder, just as accurate, and deeper than a sealed box can if designed and built correctly.
the whole sq=sealed and loud boom boom=ported is not fully correct.
It's all in the enclosure
imaxspl 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2007 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
imaxspl wrote:

A ported box will give you smooth response over a long range of frequencies, but with less accuracy and lower power handling(SPL) It wont get that really deep sounding bass that a sealed box can produce. Make sure you tune the port correct, unless you want your subs doing the harlem shake. If your going for sq do the sealed, if your tring to wiz your neibors off do the port. for the 12 in i think u need to slot load you port.

sorry but this whole post is basically incorrect.
A ported box can sound better, louder, just as accurate, and deeper than a sealed box can if designed and built correctly.
the whole sq=sealed and loud boom boom=ported is not fully correct.
It's all in the enclosure

I do realize that my response isn't 100% correct for every situation but what sounds good to u may sound horrible to someone else. there are so many variables that go into getting that "perfect" sound. Like woofer placement and room temperature.  when someone asks what sounds better......its a tough question because it depends on a lot of things. i just gave a answer that should apply about 70% of the time. For me, with equal comparison to sealed ported just sounds better. Your best bet is to get the t/s parameters of the sub, plug it into a good box building program and design your sub based on that.  just my 2cents    

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic