icon

power cables how many?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mr.devil 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
I'm working on a new project and have a question about power cable size and how many?  The install is using two Stinger 1700 batteries, two SVR 800 amp batteries, and two 800 amp Battcaps all wirred in parallel.  (Different brands I know, but not my equipment).  I had two aluminum buss bars machined, one for power, one for ground.  The system power will run to one of these buss bars, then to multiple fuse blocks for two Orion West Coast Customs WCC 1600.4 four channel amps, and six Orion West Coast Customs WCC 5000D mono block amps.  My question is, how many 0 gauge cables should I run to the power buss bar?  I saw a new "braided" power cable at last years Spring Break Nationals, and they say that it carries more amperage than standard cable.  Anyone out there know about this?  We also have a Stinger 35 farad cap.  Where should it be installed to best utilize it?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Devil's_Workshop
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
Well, i've never done a system quite like this - i think having them in parallel like that wont be a problem, shouldnt increase your voltage output.
you are asking about power wire: is this system going to be charged by the car's charging system? or is its intent to be operating while the car is off?
mr.devil 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
The system will be ran both with the truck running and while sitting at shows.  While at shows the system will be supported by an external power supply.  The owner of the truck is planning on upgradding to a multiple alternator set-up, possibly from Power Master.  We were just worried about the amperage draw and how many 0 gauge cables is enough to run to the buss bar from the batteries?
Devil's_Workshop
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

Add up the total amperage draw of all those amps and make sure you have enough runs of 0 AWG to carry it.  Seems like a simple solution to me.  For example each WCC 5000D's max is 120 amps and each WCC 1600.4 is 50 amps (just made those up). So total it up:

(4x120) + (2x50) = 580 amps.  Ouch!!  Using the recommended power and ground cable sizes link on this site you need 2 runs of 1/0 (2x350amps=700amps) which is more than enough.  Now enter the actual draw of the amps and figure it out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic