the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

car tunes detroit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

I was reading in the latest Mobile Electronics magazine. I came across an article.....reading about the business. Car Tunes.  What struck me as....well odd. In the picture of the store, on their reader board was this.      Remote Starts Installed 99.00  car tunes detroit -- posted image.   HOW is this possible? What are they selling, how are they selling it. Do they charge for butt taps, t-connectors, and solder?

ANYONE........

advancedautosec 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
its funny you mention that. around where i live in wash DC there are alot of these shops advertising alarms installed for $99. i wonder the same thing, i think i might call and ask what it is there installing for so cheap.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
My guess is that it's a loss-leader. Meaning they aren't making money from selling and installing that item and may in fact be losing money if they do, but it drives traffic into their stores and gives them a chance to up-sell or to create a repeat customer.
car tunes detroit -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

at the shop i work for we advertise "basic" alarms and starters for 99 bucks.

so what this consists of is:

the unit ( command start 395i ) pretty basic

BASIC Installation ( Main ignition wires, tach, hoodpin, and parklights)

now what that doesnt include: any options such as:

doorlocks ( we charge 50$)

Bypass ( unit dependant price)

Installation on the bypass ( 39.99$)

Trunk Release (50$)

Rear Defrost (50$)

Starterkill/antigrind (50$)

so a 99.99 $ system can turn into a 300$ system very fast.

Thats usually how it works for most places.

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Best Buy Deerfoot Meadows
Calgary, AB, Canada
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thats what I figured it would be. Just basic basic options. It's pretty smart to advertise that way, but in my area, we have a lot of customers that would accuse us of false advertisement. Even after we explain that we could put it in for that price, it won't work after that. But if it works in that area. Its sort of like Free install on radios $99 and up, but still have to pay for every part.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
"Parts are extra" has always been a part of the selling aproach. Particularly in the deck install arena. It all depends on the character and the ability of the sales person. And the majority of the customers DO understand this..... BUT, gawd...sell a remote start for 99.00 that you CANNOT install and use, without a bypass module. Then sell them the part, AND charge them to install it.... This is just wrong. I'm sure these peolpe that use this approach, sleep just fine, dreaming about all the money they have "taken" from the misinformed, uneducated consumer. My sign would read   "Don't be fooled by the 99.00 installed remote start"
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  

I have never been a big fan of this sales aproach. At my shop, a remote start is going to cost $250 installed, but that includes keyless, and factory security bypass as long as no extra parts are needed to do it. That price doesn't include transponders, trunk releases, or any other extras. There are shops that sell them cheaper, but it isn't hard to show a customer the value of a lifetime warranty and quality installation. I have an ever growing collection of 99 dollar starters I have had to remove that I keep in a box by my tools, so I can show skeptical customers how far 99 dollars gets them.

Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
Thats how they do it up here too, basic install and everything elses is extra. I flat rate all of ours all funcions of the remote [or fcns on he factory remote] will work with your new one. I hate the 99$ approach and so do most customers. And like the other post mentioned, 99$ starers and lots of bad install pictures will quickly change a customers mind in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong, most of the shops that do that around here just use the 99.00 lead in to get people in the door, and then sell them a good quality product and install, but there are a few that well, lead them in and totlly take advantage of the customer especially if the customer doesn't know any better...
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
tonyberg 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
We have a big sign that says "WE FIX FREE INSTALLS!"
advancedautosec 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
the biggest problem i have is i get customers calling and asking how much for a remote start installed, my avg. cost is around $200-300 depending on the car, they see the sign for $99 and dont want to hear anything else from me...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic