icon

can u make a box too big?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
upzaw2000 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

i am wanting to build a box for 2 type r 12 inch alpines, for my chevy HHR.

i plan on building a box that is 6.85 square feet.

also about 2-3 months from now i want to also add 2 of these subs to the box, so all 4 subs will share the same box...10" Clif Designs CD109W

1. is there really such thing as too big of a box?

2. what about having 4 subs in same box, is it big enough? would this just be a total **** up?

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Every sub has a recomended air space.  Stay within 10% of this number for optimal performance.  This value should be supplied by the manufacturer.
Kevin Pierson
deonjones 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
wouldn't u be better off making seperate boxes in side a big one so that it seems to be one box but its really 4 just so u know u r getting the right air space?
Automotive Electrical Accessory Fitter
1x TS-C160R
1x TS-D691S
1x AVHP-5950DVD
upzaw2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
gotcha, i like that idea, ps i forgot to include that the box is going to be sealed not ported... lined with fiber glass on the inside of the box.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  

Either design your box for the two Alpines or get another two OF THE SAME sub and design it for 4.  I heartily recommend leaving the Cliff Designs subs out of the picture altogether.  Don't be a creative mix-and-matcher when it comes to subwoofers.

The type R wants a vented box, and typically a pretty large one, at that.  And yes, you can make a box too big just as much as you can make it too small.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2007 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  

I just wanted to clear up a couple things. 

#1:  Manufacturer specs for enclosures can be very helpful, but keep in mind that they are designed by the marketing department to produce a response to compliment their marketing goals.  This may result in a recommended small box with a peaky response just so they look like a small box woofer when they really aren't.  I recommend getting a good subwoofer modeling program so you can design it around your goals, not theirs.

#2:  When stuffing an enclosure, it is always best to put it out in the middle of the enclosure as much as possible.  Lining the walls is not nearly as efficient.  The purpose of the stuffing is to slow down the internal air speed.  The walls produce friction so the air speed is already reduced in that area. 

upzaw2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2007 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

ok so i found each sub likes 1.7 feet, I can do that and just place wal inside the box for those subs and then be able to leave room later on to add 2 more type r's.

This is my idea, please comment on it. The box will be just a square

17 inches tall, 38 inches wide and, 24 inches length(front to back)

1 big 6.85 box, made from mdf 1"think wood. venting 2 type r's together on the top of the box, torwards the back of the box, then placing a wall width wise,  giving the subs 3.43 feet in area.

The later adding to subs in the front side of the box, Eehhhh???

It would look kool as heck, and i expect it to sound well,

Ok now here is the question where should i place the ports at, please help because i cant use those nifty programs to configure where they need to be placed and such.

I can do friggen wood work, but all that math( hwich i understand there is alot in audio) is all chineese to me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic