icon

compustar 2wssr tach signal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maximumsportz 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
I'll try a different wire but that wire works when the stock ECU is plugged in so I dont know if another wire would make a  difference....
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

You could also just VMM the wire before doing any changing of wires and see what's going on there.  Make sure you see an alternating voltage less than 1-3 vdc.

The search function is your friend.
peterubers 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

maximumsportz wrote:
I'll try a different wire but that wire works when the stock ECU is plugged in so I dont know if another wire would make a  difference....

...but that wire does not work with the piggy back ecu ...

what is the specific purpose of that piggyback ecu -- does it change fuel/o2 ratios, shift points, throttle response?

maximumsportz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
peterubers wrote:

maximumsportz wrote:

...but that wire does not work with the piggy back ecu ...

what is the specific purpose of that piggyback ecu -- does it change fuel/o2 ratios, shift points, throttle response?

yea its kinda semi stand alone ecu that still uses the stock ecu for some things.

peterubers 
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

that's why i think the wire you are using may not work now -- y'know .. i figured it changes the fuel mixture or something with spark plug timing -- that may be why the compustar does not recognize the signal coming from the tach wire with the piggy back ecu installed.

You MAY only have to reset the compustar brain entirely and RE-LEARN the tach signal without messing with the tach wire connection.  I would try this first as this will likely resolve your problem.  If that does not work, then:

1) reset the compustar

2) install the piggy back ecu

3) vmm a new wire for tach sense

4) re-learn the compustar brain with this tach signal

maximumsportz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Yea I meter tested the wires both times, both same readings.. Scratching my head here. So there is no way to not use a tach signal just for turbo timer, i don't care about remote start I just want the turbo timer since this car has a turbo.
maximumsportz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
How do I reset the brain alone?
peterubers 
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

press the I and II buttons simultaneously for > 2 seconds OR the I and IV buttons sim. for > 2 seconds, one flash of the park lights confirms this step;

next, press the III button THREE times, the park lights in a few seconds will flash rapidly three times to confirm reset to default settings.

Install the piggy back, start the car, let it idle down, now press the tach learn button and see if it learns the signal.

If it does not and again chirps three times, then find another wire.

peterubers 
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

maximumsportz wrote:
Yea I meter tested the wires both times, both same readings.. Scratching my head here. So there is no way to not use a tach signal just for turbo timer, i don't care about remote start I just want the turbo timer since this car has a turbo.

no, it needs to know engine speed to know if your engine is on or not .. that's why it still needs to know tach/engine rpm.

I think you should just try another wire, shoudl be fine.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

Where were you getting the original tach signal?  Did you install a shielded crank angle sensor?  I can't see why the UTEC would mess anything up, unless its a crank signal and you switched signals.

I would tap in to one of the fuel injector wires.  They are right at the ECU.

Kevin Pierson
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic