icon

2 way vs 3 way component speakers, need t

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gsus 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
First of all I wanted to know if there is any benefit to 3 way component speakers vs 2 way component speakers? I can't say I really heard much of a difference when I went to another local audio shop and heard JL's 3way component set that was on display. maybe it was because of their display setup?
Anyhow, I was originally going to go with the Polk DB6501 (to replace my current Infinity 5000cs Components), but then I thought to myself, why not get a good set of speakers to keep me happy for a few years. So I looked into what decent/good speakers I could get through my job at a discount. The only one's that really stood out were these:
Polk Momo MMC6500 - 2 way
2 way vs 3 way component speakers, need t -- posted image.
Polk Signature Reference SR6500 - 2 way
Eclipse SC8365 - 3 way
I know (from my searches on this forum) that you guys recommend going out to listen to speakers in person because speaker sound is a personal choice. Now, that would be great idea, but my job does not have these on display nor do they have any intention of doing so :(. I also can't find any local place that has the above speakers on display. Not being able to listen to the last 2 (Technically all three since I haven't heard the latest model MOMO's), I'm kind of basing my potential purchase on what I've read online. And the reason limiting myself with the above speakers is because I'm able to get a discount on them through work.
Here's what the system is basically setup as now...
The car:
91 Toyota MR2
Factory Scion Radio w iPod capability - (May upgrade to a Pioneer AVIC-D3)
Front Speakers: Will be decided in this post.. But currently have Infinity Reference 5000cs
Rear Speakers: Polk DB401
Speaker Amp: Eclipse XA4000 (not yet installed, currently running an Alpine MRV-320 to power all speakers)
Subs: Polk MOMO's MM2084DVC - 2 of them
Sub Amps: MTX 251D's (1 per sub)
Suggestions and opinions are welcomed!!!
TIA
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  

gsus wrote:
First of all I wanted to know if there is any benefit to 3 way component speakers vs 2 way component speakers?

Like you said, you couldn't really hear a difference.  I think this is one of those things were more really is just more..not better.  Our most senior speaker-guru's agree with me.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~61864~PN~1

Check out Steven Kephart's comments about halfway down the page.

gsus wrote:
The only one's that really stood out were these

Can't say any of those really wave my flag. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
gsus 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the link, I'll have to read it when I get home.
sedate wrote:

gsus wrote:
The only one's that really stood out were these

Can't say any of those really wave my flag.

Yeah, unfortunately that is all Circuit City has to offer... But I figured any of those would be better than my current infinity's. And I get more than half off of what they cost retail.
So based on the options given above or a $350 budget, what would be a good set of speakers to get?
Thanks again for the reply :)
sqsq 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Go with the polks.  I haven't heard the sr series but they're probably even better than the momo's which I have heard, and sound fantastic.  My experience with eclipse speakers (im an installer at circuit city) is that they sound much better in the show room than they do in the car.  They sounds as if they were designed for use in a large room whereas polk speakers sound like they were designed for use in a vehicle.  If you're looking for an entire system I would go with an eclipse head unit and amp; but for the speakers, polk is the way to go.
3rd gen 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
I too would go with the SR's. I am Roadshop sales at CCity and have been really looking at them, but there is no shop within 100 miles of me that has them on display, custom or otherwise.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic