hid light problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nflpats 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I found this forum while searching for electircal help.  Let me start by saying I dont know much about electrical but am willing to learn.  I just installed an HID kit for my motorcycle.  The light came on the first couple of times but now it wont come on anymore.  The HID kit came with a relay and fuse.  Here is how it is connected.  One wire from the relay is connected to the hot wire on the factory headlight positive wire.  Another wire from the relay is connected to the factory headlight negative wire.  The 3rd wire from the relay is attached to a two pin connecteor wich is pluged into the HID ballast.  I connected the negative wire that came from the ballast connector directly to the negative terminal on the battery.  The final 4th wire from the relay is connected to a 20amp fuse and is connected to the positive terminal on the battery.  Hope I am not loosing you guys.  Anyway, once I started the bike, nothing happened.  I shut off the bike and restarted again....the light came on.  I shut the bike off for about 5 minutes and restarted again...nothing happend.  I pushed my high/low beam button a few times and the HID light came on again.  Once I shut off the bike for the final time and no the light wont come on anymore.  By the way, the bike has day time running lights and automatically come on when the engine is running.  Now, when I start the bike I hear and feel flickering in the relay as if the power is trying to come on.  Now for troubleshooting.  I took another HID unit that I bought last week (which I thought was defective as it was doing the same) and wired directly to the battery neg/pos and the light works (should have tested before I bought the second unit).  Anyway, I put the regular halogen back on the bike and the light works.  The only conclusing I have would be that the headlight factory connector is not providing enough power (12v / 10amp) to activate the relay.  When I installed the first HID unit directly to the headlight wiring, it wont come on either.  The HID will only come on when it is connected directly to the battery.  This makes me think that there is not enough current running through the headlight connectors, just enough to run the H3 (12v 55watt) bulb.  But this makes no sense either because the halogen bulb and relay use the same 12 volts.  I am starting to confuse my self.  Could the battery on my bike be going bad?  I plan to test the current coming from the headlight connectors tommorrow.  If anyone here can understand what I explained and can provide me with some knowledge as to why the HID is not working, I would be graciously appreciative.  I have spent countless hours removing, and re-installing 2 different HID units and I would like to have this problem solved so I dont have to resort back to halogen.  Thank you.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

When describing your wire connections, also tell us what pin on the relay it's connected to.

Is this hid unit designed for a motorcycle? Most HID ballast's do not like voltage fluctuations, get out your multi meter and test all your wires.

Daytime running lights are an HID's worst friend! They are usually a reduced voltage.

The best way to wire an HID, is to have a way to turn them ON, and OFF. (a working switch) not connected to ignition, so when the key is on....so are the lights.

I would use google, and look for a motorcycle forum....this is a common problem, and I'll bet the "biker guys" have it all fingered out!

joker2 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2007 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
I can tell you exactly how to get this done, but we're gonna start from the top. Do you have a Bi-Xenon bulb (high and low beam in one) or is it just a single beam bulb? Who makes the kit and where did you get it?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic