icon

3 batteries and ho alt, necessary?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
twobig86 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, my name is Michael and I am currently in the process of planning my next car audio system.  I currently don’t have a car and I am going over to Europe for 3 months to visit relatives / work for money to purchase my next car.

Basically I need some advice on the power I am going to need to run my new system when I finally get it installed.  I will try to be as descriptive as possible.

First off here is a list of what I have.

2 x MTX T9512-44 Subwoofers (Dual Voice Coils, 12”, 1000 watts RMS each)

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/thunder9500.cfm

2 x MTX TA81001 Monoblock Amps (1000W Each at 2Ohms)

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/thunder81001.cfm

1 x Clarion APX640.4 – 4 channel Amp (4 x 80 RMS watts)

4 x Clarion SRX1384 – 5 ¼” Speakers

2 x Stinger SC201SC 1-Farad Power Caps

1 x Optima Yellow Top Battery – D34/78

1 x Kicker 0 Gauge wiring kit (300 amp fuse)

I should note that I would like enough power to have the option of upgrading those speakers and that 4-channel amp to something with a little more kick.

I have also heard about the big 3 for rewiring the 3 grounds under the hood of the car and will be doing that.  4 gauge wiring good for that though?

Now MTX keeps telling me that to run that set up I will probably need 2 extra batteries and a High Output Alternator.

I have no problem buying any of that, IF I need it.  The problem is I don’t know what I need.  Also if I need extra batteries how to set them up…

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

bigjul45 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
Just upgrade your car battery and add a second battery yellow cap optima. you need a battery isolator hook your amps up to the second battery. Just because your amps are 1000 wats dose not mean you are pumping 1000watts continuiously.  You don't need 2 caps just 1 I would hook this one to the amp for the subs.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 4:19 AM / IP Logged  

Don't use any caps. As for the Big3; use 0g, or whatever the largest you're using in the system. You're gonna need a HO alt sooner or later. Only get a 2nd battery, isolated, if you plan on listening to the system with the car off for long periods of time.

Other than that it all looks fine to me.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
twobig86 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the quick responses guys.  Going with what you guys said Im going to get a second battery and an isolator...now comes the other question lol...what is a battery isolator?
bigjul45 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
stinger sells them you can also go on ebay and find them. A batt isolator allows your second battery to be seperated from your car battery. ie. if you are at a park or just sitting any where playing your sounds, with the key in the ac position you will not effect your main car battery your sound will pull from the second battery. The isolator acts as a relay when the car is started you will here the isolator open this happens because the altenator has to charge the second battery. i have this same setup in my 1997 Chevy Tahoe. Before hooking this setup I had a second battery hooked up but I would go through altenators now I have no problems. in the summer I can rum the AC pump my music and I have day time running lights and my volt meter dose not move. The cap also helped me becasue songs with heavy bass drop whould not make my lights dim. Some people use the caps for looks and some because it really works. I will send you some pics of my setup.
twobig86 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks again for the quick response --- I will be looking into getting that Isolator ASAP.  Pics would be sweet if you could send them, Thanks.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Forget the isolator AND the caps... LONG have we all preached the evils, especially, of caps, but here's a thread regarding isolators.
I could spend a few hours, at least, digging threads up telling you why NOT to use the cap, but I won't, as it seems bigjul has you convinced you need one. Trust me, you DON'T! Suffice to say, if your electrical system is up to par, you won't need one, and if it's not, you're only hiding the still hemorrhaging bullet wound with a band-aid.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
twobig86 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for that link, it was helpful but i'm still thinking that I might use the isolator.  Im kind of 50/50 on it now.  But say I did get an isolator would this one be sufficient for the system meantioned above.  Also I would like to note that when reading that thread on the isolators I saw how it was meantioned to do the setup without the isolators you would need identical batteries...since my yellow top optima is only 1 year old I dont want to buy 2 more when I only need one.  So does that not also mean I would have to have the isolator?

Anyways here is the stinger one I was looking at...the stats and pic I got from ebay so Im not 100% sure the stats are right.

Stinger 200 Amp Battery Relay<"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" >
3 batteries and ho alt, necessary? -- posted image.
  • <"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" >Brand New - Part # SR200 - Retails For 65.20 
  • Ideal For Battery Isolation
  • High Current Relays Are The Most Reliable And Efficient Way To Add Secondary Batteries To Your System
  • Compatible With All Types Of Alternators And Charging Systems
  • Water Resistant Black Phenolic Plastic
  • 100,000 Mechanical Cycle Life
  • Any more help would be appriciated.  Thanks for the above posts everyone.

aznboi3644 
    Gold - Posts: 2,600
    Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
    Posted: May 23, 2007 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
    if you get two brand new batteries at the same time you will NOT need an isolator.
    Those amps are gonna pull some serious current if you are blasting your music. A HO Alt should be on order. Ditch those caps and use that money towards a new alt.
    jmelton86 
    Gold - Posts: 1,228
    Gold spacespace
    Posted: May 23, 2007 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

Listen to haemphyst and aznboi3644. It would be in your (cars) best interest.

Read the link I gave you above on the Big3 Upgrade and apply it. Read haemphyst's link and apply, also.

Have fun!

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
    DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
    Big3 in 1/0G
    1/0G to GTO14001
    Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic