icon

fg resin inside of mdf box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
butcha 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
if i was to put fg resin all inside a speaker box (walls, fronts, joints) would that make ne type of sound diffrence or would it just be a good boat anchor. has ne body tried doing this or ne other type of material like spray in bed liner or spatter paint... im guessing it would make the box more solid..im asking cuz im gonna do a box for two 12" kicker solo x"s in a 03 dts and the guys from kicker told me to make that box 2.0-2.5 in seprate boxes (but im a do it in one box w/ a divider) he also said to make it tough so i want to build this box bulletproof  i also got advice on a double front so for sure im a do that. ne advise on this box would help me out a bunch all my other boxes that ive built has been cuz of u guys the guys that reply to my posts questions that have been answered a million times thanx guys. 
my friends call me butcher i fear no wires that dont belong.......................
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Lots and lots of bracing and FG resin is a good way to add dtrength as well.
I would make the face of 1.5 and add lots of structrual bracing inside the box
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
lincoln2002lse 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

Just wrapped up a temp box for 2 JL 10w6's pushed by a jl1k/1.

I glassed the box I put together inside and out and as small as it is it sounds pretty good. I am sure someone will say that it might or will cause a ring or some other sound, but my hearing is going n e way,,, braceing and air space is the key,, also ,, make sure you do the mix right,, smells bad for awhile even if you get it right when they go to slammin.

Me I am back to rippen it out and going back to  ""step 1"" ,,, sound deadeningfg resin inside of mdf box -- posted image.

(excuse,, I didn't think I would go this ape s,, with the system),, lol,,, niether did the wife.

3 JL Amps and 2 subs, eclipse AVX5000, Focal mids and highs, Tri amped, active,,,,,,,,,,,and rattling,,, for now,, waiting on Ups with 600sqft of dynamatt and ensolite foamfg resin inside of mdf box -- posted image.

mikegar 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
1.5 on the front sounds like a little overkill.  .75 should be fine with bracing. 
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
mikegar wrote:
1.5 on the front sounds like a little overkill.  .75 should be fine with bracing. 
Little overkill?   we are talking about woofers that weigh more then 30+ pounds each.
1.5 would be the least I would go to make sure there is no flex in the box
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
mikegar 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
thats why bracing was invented. and keep the fron plate short as possible. and  also it is cheeper to buy one sheet of .75 than  1 sheet of .75 and a half sheet of 1.5.
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
There is no need to buy any 1.5". You double the .75" to get 1.5".
butcha 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

mikegar wrote:
thats why bracing was invented. and keep the fron plate short as possible. and  also it is cheeper to buy one sheet of .75 than  1 sheet of .75 and a half sheet of 1.5.

thats true but if u can build a box from one sheet and still have left over after bracing and a double front. i was a carpenter for 4 yrs for my dads company and he's done it for 27yrs so i picked up a couple of wood tricks one thing we use to build was bent handrails for stairs and all we used was wood glue and c clamps  (no nails)  so if u had some time u could just put both fronts glued together and some clamps  let it dry over night and u would have a strong front even strong enough to make speaker rings out of hmm that sounds like a fun project im a run that by some of my friends that want boxes built....

my friends call me butcher i fear no wires that dont belong.......................

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic