icon

Push Button Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have a diagram for a relay pack from a few years ago...I was doing the same thing but with a 30 second timed relay...
my alarm unlock would hit the 30 second relay and allow power to the starter lead, giving you 30 seconds to start the vehicle before the switch went dead again...it was a complicated setup, with both a start and kill button, to interrupt the "on" and "acc" power and shut the car down...seemed to me to be the most secure method of doing the keyless start button...
my car didnt utilize keys for anything, I removed all of the key locks. there were a few times it seemed like a really poor idea, but I always managed to endeavour through the hard times haha.
I will see if I can find that diagram...I got it here about 5 or 6 years ago I think...
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=10656&KW=Big+Purds
check that out...if I remember correctly it worked without modification...major props to 12volt on that one!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2007 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
I ordered some RFID stuff last night.  My thinking, if this works, is to place the RFID receiver underneath a cubby in the car (like in the center console).  Upon detecting the correct wireless key signal the igniton will turn on for a predetermined amount of time and the start button will be active during that period.  If the start button is pushed it will crank.  I think I'm going to include an optional tach input to include an 'auto start' where it will crank until the vehicle is running and then automatically stop cranking (so you don't actually have to hold the starter button down).  With the use of a tach signal I can then turn the 'start' button in to a 'stop' button.  This would allow a complete stand alone system, but would also be flexible enough to work with the current ignition switch (to keep all OEM security in place, if so desired).
Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  

Update:

I got the RFID stuff, and now even have keyfob RFID tags that should work great. 

I've also decided on the button that will be controlling the system - it is the stock button out of the new Altimas.  It has a great feel and look to it, and has multiple LEDs that can dictate system status.

Kevin Pierson
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

Sweet -- did you purchase a bunch of Alty start buttons from nissan or a nissan parts site?

Can you take a pic when you get a chance of your work re: this push button project -- i'm very interested to see it.  How does the RFID work?

The search function is your friend.
KPierson 
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

I bought two from the local dealership - about $30 a piece, not a bad price considering the quality.  The unfortunate side is that I can't find the plug for it (it is custom) so I had to solder the wires directly to the back.  There are 8 wires total, so I used a cat5 cable.  I'm going to crimp a cat5 connector on the other end and then use a cat5 plug to make it easy to remove.

I've also already ordered new LEDs to convert it from amber to blue lighting.  Hopefully that will go well.

Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

Push Button Start - Page 2 -- posted image.

Here is a picture of the push button.  I've replaced the amber LEDs with blue LEDs and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Kevin Pierson
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2007 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

That is EXTREMELY nice work --

Does the button have a starter kill built into the button circuitry --if not, how did you rig the starter kill? (i.e. without remote starting the car, when you get in, register the RFID, and push start .. how does is THEN kill the starter during ignition_on)?

Also .. do you have it so that you just press the button once and it starts the car automatically (i.e. employing the remote starter brain to start the vehicle) or do you have to hold down the start button until the engine has started appropriately?

How does ACC, and IGN work .. do you press the button sequentially? And the hold down for start?

The search function is your friend.
KPierson 
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 5:36 AM / IP Logged  

I haven't started on the controls integration yet, so I don't have concrete answers to most of your questions.

I'm planning on building the 'ultimate' system in stages.  Stage 1 is to get the switch wired and working, which I've pretty much done.

Stage 2 will be getting all the lights and functions of the switch to work while still using the OEM key.  This would involve putting the key in the ignition and turning it to the 'ON' position, and then pushing the button to crank.  There won't be any engine monitoring so as long as you hold the button down it will crank.  The control system will be microprocessor controlled and will not only start the engine, but will stop it also (after all, the button is a start/stop button).  I plan to include a digital 'engine running' signal to allow the processor to decide when to start and when to stop.  My thoughts are, on modern fuel injected vehicles, you should be able to reference the fuel pump signal to determine if the car is running. 

Stage 3 will include the addition of the RFID circuitry and a tach reference.  At that point, you'll simply press the button and let it go and it will do the rest.  With the RFID I'm planning on turning on ACC with the RFID signal, and then turning on ignition power and starting the car when you push the button within the allotted time.

Kevin Pierson
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
In the event he doesn't start the car within the initial RFID timeout period, is there a reset method to retry? If you make the timeout long enough it probably wouldn't be a problem. Hopefully it wouldn't require getting out of the car and walking away and back to reset-
Is the timeout intended for security purposes or to save power from energized circuits when it logs in?
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic