Push Button Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 14, 2007 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

Update!

I finally acomplished my goal - OEM style pushbutton start in my G35.

Push Button Start - Page 4 -- posted image.

Push Button Start - Page 4 -- posted image.

If anyone wants to see a video of this working here is a link:

Pushbutton Start System - ~10meg AVI

This system still needs the key to be in the 'ON' position, but I may take it a step farther and implement the RFID 'keyless' start.  Unfortunately, the RFID version would be much more complicated and require almost starting from scratch to design the system to be compeletely independent.

Kevin Pierson
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

Ya know dude..... I'm not much into that kinda of "don't fix it  if it ain't broke" kinda thing....  BUT THATS REALLY F'n COOL!

Nice work Kevin!

Whats the total investment, $ (minus your time) THEN, what kind of time do you have into this?

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
KP Didf you make that circuit board yourself, if you did wonderful workmanship.
KPierson 
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure on how much it cost me total.  The button itself was $32 or so from Nissan.  The circuit boards aren't cheap, as they are custom made (I did in fact design them myself).  If you order them in low quantities like here they are $6-7 a piece.  The rest of the components weren't that expensive - definately under $100 in parts total (not counting tooling required to make the two harnesses).

Time wise, that is another story.  I designed everything myself, so there was very significant time invested.  I started this project with a ton of research before I came up with a basic hardware layout, I then designed the circuit board around my hardware design.  Once I had the hardware I started to write the program for the 8mhz processor.  I'm still not actually done with the programming, but the program is to the point that it works extremely reliably and provides the basic functions I was looking for.  The next step is to add 'tach learning' and 'push and release' start which will allow the vehicle to start without holding the button down - basically like a remote start.  In the very long run, I would like to integrate the OEM keyfob to the circuit so I can make it peroform remote start functions as well.

Howie, thanks for the compliments.  I will try to post some pictures of the 'finished' circuit board that has the customary green solder mask and is silk screened.  They look much more 'professional' when they are finished.

Kevin Pierson
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
whats the reason for the pushbutton start? Its seems highly illogical to me as to why you would want to push a button to start your car, especially since you can still start it by using your key?
Nice work, but I see no value in it.
KPierson 
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

There is no 'value' in it.  This is purely an aesthetic mod.

The original plan was to design and build a completely keyless system.  This is a step in that direction.

Kevin Pierson
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Its part of the car culture. I am not into those things but a lot of people(young crowd) do like those modification. There is a sense of value if you enter your "show car" into an event and points maybe added toward the electronic category.
Whats more practical of this whole push-button start idea is to use a DEI RS add-on w/ the nissan, toyota, or honda button. Not trying to bash KPeirson's genuine accomplishment but thats the most effective way, both cost and time, for anyone out there.
usabuilt wrote:
whats the reason for the pushbutton start? Its seems highly illogical to me as to why you would want to push a button to start your car, especially since you can still start it by using your key?
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
KPierson 
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

profuse007 wrote:
Its part of the car culture. I am not into those things but a lot of people(young crowd) do like those modification. There is a sense of value if you enter your "show car" into an event and points maybe added toward the electronic category.
Whats more practical of this whole push-button start idea is to use a DEI RS add-on w/ the nissan, toyota, or honda button. Not trying to bash KPeirson's genuine accomplishment but thats the most effective way, both cost and time, for anyone out there.
usabuilt wrote:

I thought about the DEI remote start with a (-) activation input.  However, the 5 second delay would be a bit annoying and it lacks any ability to control the status LEDs.  It also doesn't provide a way to shut the car off.  So, even using a remote start platform there would be more to add to make it work.  From my perspective, with my abilities, it made more sense to just build the entire thing from scratch.  There isn't much complexity in a remote start system, especially compared to everything else required to make this work.

It's kind of funny, I started this project for an installer friend to install in a customers car, and ended up putting it in my car instead.  My friend is no longer installing, so he didn't have a need for it.  I guess it's more then just an aesthic mod to me, its a sign of acomplishment and a 'trophey' for all the hours I put in to it.

Kevin Pierson
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
On DEI, pulse once to start and once more to shut-off. The time delay maybe a nuisance to some ppl but I still believe thats the most effective way.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
KPierson 
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

Once the car is drivable (ie remote start disabled) it provides no way of shutting the car off.  You can not drive a DEI remote start car with the remote start engaged (tach cut off and time cut off).  Therefore, once you are driving the car and the timer expires there is then no way to use the added button to shut the vehicle off.

If you are using the Honda S2000 button the DEI part would work great (engine start only, no indicators).  But, when using an engine start/stop button with indicators I don't think it really serves a purpose in the overall picture.

Kevin Pierson
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic