icon

Is Working For Free Ok?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tex12gage 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2007 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  

Hey...I've been installing on my own for about 8 years now.  I've been to an audio school, and I'm good with installs and fabrication. 

I already have a good job with great pay, so I'm not interested in that....What I want is more experience.  I get alot of time off with my current job. (i work 12 hour days so I only work 14 days a month, and I get a full week off every 3 weeks).

I have a local shop that does a great job...So my question is:  Would it be appropriate to ask him for some experience.  He wouldn't have to pay me. I'd just like to work for him for better experience,  So I can hopefully Open my own place eventually.

What do ya'll think?...Especially shop owners.

tex
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2007 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
  it cant hurt to ask.  the only problem that i can see, would be the insurance risk.  i'm not sure if he could have someone that wasnt technically an employee, working on customer's cars, or be working in a shop with many tools that could potentially harm you if handled wrong.
tex12gage 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2007 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah I didn't even think about the insurance part of the deal.... Anybody else got any input?

tex
dtpaudio 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Wow. I had an experience like this about six months ago. I took what was supposed to be a two week apprenticeship leading to a job and wound up getting burnt on the deal. Fourteen hour days for two weeks just to have him try to turn it in to more free labor. I'm not sure how he pulled it off insurance-wise, but it just wasn't a good experience being that low on the totem-pole.
Be loud,be obnoxious,man up, and bounce with a legend.
madfleet 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2007 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

As a shop owner, I would have only two concerns.

1. Would you be insulted,  and/or willing to, if you were asked to not only assist with installs, but all other things associated with our business, like getting lunch, sweeping floors, helping customers, picking up, performing vehicle checklists, etc.? (basically be a true team player, even if its only honorary,) and;

2. If the experience and relationships you gain would be used against me as competition? (i.e. recruiting my employees, soliciting my customers, any trade secrets or relationships I/my company has.)

swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2007 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
If you are an experienced installerof 8 years you should be getting paid for your work!!! I do not give my work away to anyone(maybe family and very close friends) Installers are worth $$$$
get paid!!!
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
madfleet 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
8 yrs. doing your own stuff is not the same as working as a pro for 8 yrs. you want to learn you pay. if free labor is all you have then that is what you offer. schools charge to teach regardless of your experience level. if you don't work for free then why teach for free?
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2007 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
the owner of the shop in your town should have no problem putting you on the payroll. to me work=$$$ no matter what. i would want at least a small wage. Ive seen a lot of shop owners "teach for work" and i believe that not being paid also means that there is not really alot off accountability for you to do good work if you are being paid you are acountable
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
madfleet 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
I disagree. I started that way and I work with several school districts in Florida giving students an opportunity to learn. I don not pay them. You know, I "teach them for work". Oh, and by the way accountability is learned, not purchased.
liinstaller 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
The reason for working hard is to show the shop owner that it would benefit him to put you on the payroll as an employee.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic