resin as adhesive

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
giponu 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
I was just thinking.
because i've used bostick adhesive before and it didnt stick well.
and if i wanted to stick like vinyl to wood would resin act as a adhesive? or will it ruin the vinyl?
-[ g.i.p.o.n.u ]-
ricoshay 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
it won't work. I doesns't keep the vinyl in place and wil harden and change shape
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2007 at 5:07 AM / IP Logged  

Resin is a doodiehouse adhesive, my mate found that out when his doorpod fell off lol

Mate i see your in australia, i work at bunnings in the paint/glue section now take my word for it, Bostick zero nails is doodiehouse

I woudnt pay real money for it.  You could use liquid nails, but it tends to be too thick and just causes ripples in non backed or thin vinyl.  Have a look at the glue section for Selleys Kwik Grip.  Its a contact adhesive designed specially for these sorta jobs.  The Parfix Fast Grip is a chaper veriosn of this and does work fairly well.  I use it on all my installs.  But becuase this stuff takes ages to cure if its a complex shape or the vinyl; has to be streached alot its a good idea to go around the outside edge with some hot glue, just to hold it while the contact adhesive tacks off.  If its not got alot of streach in the design or the likes, the you shoudnt need to worry.

If you got any other questions just shoot mate.

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

probably the best stuff to use is "weld wood" contact adhesive.  this is what all the top installers and upholstery guys i know use and i've never seen this stuff come loose.

"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2007 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

3M's 777 Apray adhesive works wonders. At the shop I am at, we use a special contact glue that you have to spray from an air gun (the name escapes me at the moment) and if you can peel the cloth/vinyl after adhering with this stuff, you can probably bench 300+ LOL.

for 777, Spray a light to medium coat on both surfaces and let flash (dry to where still tacky but doesn't stick to a dry hand) and then press. Word of caution: Wrinkles are going to be a real pain to get rid of.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
the stuff in the spray gun is the weldwood glue i mentioned.  every upholsterer i know uses it and so do i.  i have made vinyl stick to some radical curves (even inner curves) with no problem at all.  just follow the directions on the can and you will never have the vinyl come off the object...even if you wanted it to..lol.
"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  
but its it avaliable in australia??
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
giponu 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
lols i dunno wat or wat isnt available in australia. i tried using some bostik adhesive to wood. and it didnt work that good.(but this was for carpet to wood) so i ended up using super glue. works best.haha
but i plan to viynl something and i didnt wanna use the bostik agen cos it doesnt work. i mite ask some1 like jlord16 at a bunning shop.lols see wat they might offer me.
-[ g.i.p.o.n.u ]-

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic