crazy amplifier application

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
3000dclass 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I came up with this idea at work.
Is it possible to run one amp for subs, and another amp for some other accessory.
I was thinking use my amp for power a hydraulic pump, or an electric air compressor so that I can have a tricked out truck.
I dont see why not, electricity is electricity, as long as my amp has enough power to run something, why wouldnt that work?
Thanks
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
Well for one thing the impedence on the pump or compressor would have be in the amps tolerences.
There is no such thing as free installation!
3000dclass 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
hmmm....yes it would have to be thats right.
That could be only a little difficult to match up, but certainly possible given the vast selection of products out there.
Have you ever seen something like that?
I mean batteries power hydro's all the time
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Don't really see WHY you would need the amp. Aren't these products available in 12 volt versions?
There is no such thing as free installation!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, it can be done. I have actually run a vaccuum off an Adcom GFA565 in bridged mode. It was really cool, because I was driving the input with a sine-wave generator, and you could hear the efficiency of the vaccuum's motor improve or reduce with the frequency. The amp ran hot as HELL, but the Adcoms are quite capable devices, and I just ran a fan on the heatsinks for the rest of the experiments. I thought I was the only person that thought like that :)
But tcss is right, most anything you could need SHOULD be available in a 12V version... It would CERTAINLY be cheaper than buying an amplifier with the required capabilities, I think.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
3000dclass 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Well what can I say , I like thinking out in left field!
pldtj 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
yea the only catch wuold be keeping the amp output at a certain level. be easier to just get a converter, fairly cheap. like a 1400 watt for around 50 bucks would power most things .
05 Neon SXT/infinity 311a/2 Polk db104 subs/vr3 400 watt to factory front and rear
zerorearfill 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Are you saying you're going to take an AC hydraulic pump that requires 120V @ 60 hz, hook it up to your amp and you want to know if there is something wrong with doing that? Amazing.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
zerorearfill wrote:
Are you saying you're going to take an AC hydraulic pump that requires 120V @ 60 hz, hook it up to your amp and you want to know if there is something wrong with doing that? Amazing.
Interested to know why you think it can't happen... I can tell you that it CAN happen. If the amp is capable of producing the required voltage, across the presented load, why, again, do you think it can't work?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
zerorearfill 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2007 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
well,
Looking at various automotive hydraulic pumps you'll need one with an output of around 1/5hp, which equals about 150W, to do anything. Now, let's look at two differnet scenarios; The first one we'll assume your amp is outputting 120V and the pump is consuming 150W. That means you'll have to find a pump with a resistence of 96 OHMs. I wouldn't be able to find you an amp that outputs 150W at 96 OHMs. For the second scenario, we'll assume you find a 4 ohm hydraulic pump. To sustain a voltage of 120v your amp will need to output 3600 watts continuously.
Also, output from a power plant can be assumed to be EXACTLY 60hz. With the distortion of your amplifier added to the output signal, I doubt you can be quite so confident.
The only things I can see you powering with an amplifier, other than what it was meant to, would be a tiny lightbulb or a very small motor.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic