icon

2 ohm or not 2 ohm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
3000dclass 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
Well enough Shakespeare, and on with my question... I was wondering if this is a myth or has some truth to it. My amp, Fosgate 1500.1bd can be run at either 2 ohm, or 4 ohm. Now, I have heard from 'round the way that i can run it at 4 ohm, and it will be easier on my amp, like not running it to hard. This didnt sound very scientific and the guy didnt explain any further. Im far from being wealthy and also supporting my child, so I would like to keep my amp in the best condition as possible so it will last, so was this guy accurate? If so, why is that the case? As far as i can tell, if I follow directions and use my amp the way it is designed, then either way it should not have a problem. I dont know, so any insight here would be great! Thanks
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

if you run the amp at 4 ohms, then you will only be getting half the power that it is capable of producing.  i dont see any good reason to purchase an amp and only get half the power from it. (unless the speakers that you are connecting to it cant handle the power)

rockford is a good brand of amp, if they say its stable to 2 ohms, then i wouldnt worry about running it that way.

3000dclass 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
I actually have that problem, to much power for my wallet to get subs that can handle 3000 watts. So I might run them at 4 ohms anyways, but my local shop said this to me, and I wanted to know if they were right or talking outta there arse.
duct tape 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
what sub(s) do you have? 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
Ohms law.  Power = (current squared) times resistance.  At a given power level, a lower resistance will require higher current.  For 100 watts, let's say, a 2-ohm load will draw about 7 amps, and a 4-ohm load will draw about 5 amps.  Since it is amps that create heat inside an amplifier, more amps = more heat.  More heat = more stress on the components and shorter life.  So, in general, higher ohm loads will enable an amplifier to operate at lower temperatures and the amp will last longer.
Support the12volt.com
duct tape 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

thats all well and good, but amplifiers are designed to give off heat.  should i ditch my 4 ohm speakers, and go with 8 ohms, just because my amp will run a bit cooler?  if an amp is designed to run at a given load, then run it that way.  if its a quality amp, and you have it installed properly, then you wont have any issues.

ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

While I agree that this setup should have no problem runnign at 2 ohms that does not necessarily mean it must be done a 4 ohm load will cause the amp to run cooler and possibly extend the longevity of it, but it really depends on the power handling and the impedance of the woofer(s). I believe it's been used on this forum before but just because you have a car capable of going 200mph does not mean you must drive at 200mph everywhere you go. Just my 2 cents.

--->Richard

2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
duct tape do you have a problem?  I simply answered the question which you did not.
Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
duct tape wrote:

if you run the amp at 4 ohms, then you will only be getting half the power that it is capable of producing.  i dont see any good reason to purchase an amp and only get half the power from it. (unless the speakers that you are connecting to it cant handle the power)

thats all well and good, but amplifiers are designed to give off heat.  should i ditch my 4 ohm speakers, and go with 8 ohms, just because my amp will run a bit cooler?  if an amp is designed to run at a given load, then run it that way.  if its a quality amp, and you have it installed properly, then you wont have any issues.

Do you drive your vehicle all the time at it's top speed?  If not, do you feel you were ripped off because you aren't using it at it's designed speed?

Just because an amplifier is stable down to a lower impedance doesn't mean you have to run it that low.  An amplifier is designed to run any impedance down to a certain point, not to run only at the lowest rated impedance.    Also, did you actually measure your speakers impedance to make sure their nominal impedance was 4 ohms?  After all if they were designed with say a 3.8 ohm DCR instead of 3.2 ohms then you aren't running the amplifier at an actual 4 ohms nominal load. 2 ohm or not 2 ohm -- posted image.

duct tape 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2007 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

so because i have a different point of view, that means that i have a problem?  2 ohm or not 2 ohm -- posted image.   is debating not allowed in this forum? must we all agree?

my point is...why would you pay money for a sub amp, then run it at 4 ohms, when it is designed to give full power at 2 ohms?  seems like a waste of money to me.   if you guys like to use half of your amp's potential, great, go for it, its your money

since you guys like to talk about cars so much....would you purchase a car that could hold 8 people, and only fill it up with 4 people?  that would be a waste of money, now wouldnt it?

i am also interested in what subs he has....i dont see how he would have a choice between 2 or 4 ohms, if he has already purchased the subs.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic