the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

best 12 subs for small sealed boxes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 26, 2007 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
I have alllways been an Image dynamics kinda guy. BIG low bass, tiny boxes, and will not hurt your wallet!
bassmechanik 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks, I've heard good things about those subs, 2 different sites have different power handling ratings on the ID12's. should be 400 continous but can they handle more on a continous level? I've heard that the tonal clarity is rediculous. I listen to R&B and rap but really like musical bass tones so I need to go hear them in person.

tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
I used to run Diamond CM3 10's .I had them in a Diamond recommended transmission style ported enclosure and they did wonderfully, but the enclosure was tuned to 40 hz so yeah they didn't do great on the lowend, but they didnt do that bad either. Have you contacted their tech support? I have dealt with them alot and they will work with you to get the results you want. I imagine they could design a box to make them hit lower for you, that is if you wanted to keep them. Just a thought.
bassmechanik 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I've done all the research and what I found is that the specs of this sub don't match my needs. The low freq response on the TC-1000 and ID12's are below 20hz, on the Diamond it's well above 30hz. I think like 44hz. So even if I build a huge box it'll be off somewhere else. Time to retire these puppies. I need the subterranean levels of bass and my ears just can't take it anymore. Could I be anymore dramatic?!?!? best 12 subs for small sealed boxes? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
Freq. response of the diamond d3 12" is from 25hz to 250 hz. We have built tuned enclosures for them that drop pretty low, not sure on specfics numbers. As others have stated, the enclosure is going to make the largest impact. I have seen as well as others, some very expensive subwoofers that should "perform" great sound awful in poorly designed/built enclosure and vise versa. With all the drama, just try this- set your purse down call diamond tech-get some specs on enclosures and build one.......
bassmechanik 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Oh I agree, I did call them but they say use the spec sheet to build. My question is in your experience is it ok to build out of spec? I downloaded WinISD and it shows a much better response in a sealed enclosure if it's larger. But I just want to be sure that it's not going to jack up my SQ, ya na mean? Wha chu think?
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

Yes it ok to build out of spec. I have learned a lot of manufatures specs are great starting points and for most decent enough sound. I should ask how long have been using the d3's, as they will eventulay become worn. By the way I usually run the the d1's and d'3 in a 1.5 cu. ft per sub enclosure, they drop pretty low. I have also experiment with slot ported eclosures with the diamonds. We made a couple that took a bit to get what the customer wanted tun-ing wise. Recently I ordered a pre-fab from audio enhancers and it hits really low, maybe hit them up for some exact tuning specs. The big draw back to it was, it cost a fortune to ship @ 75lbs. And yes it is made for diamond subs specifically. I am sure the tc sounds are really good also. I see they get high marks from other members, I just have been  impressed with diamonds quality and it not just because I sell them either. Hope this helps. If you wish to drop really low maybe a D9 15"best 12 subs for small sealed boxes? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image..

bassmechanik 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
Geez I was looking for this message and almost lost it. Ok what's the deal with the D3's. This is the first time I bought a sub that at first was so loud, thought I was pushing a hundred more watts than I had. At the same time the sub was so tight it struggled to hit the low lows. One day I turned on the system and the strength was gone (guess it was broken in) so it's sounds quite a bit different and much more loose. I agree with you, those puppies change over a short time. I'm moving up to either the TC-1000 or the Soundstream RFW-12. On WinISD the output and smooth rolloff are impecable so I want to hear one in real life. I love that program, it seems to tell the truth about what you are going to hear. So I'll be sure to post an article on the results when I do.best 12 subs for small sealed boxes? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic