Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
easbert 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  

Posted: June 09, 2007 at 5:08 AM - IP Logged      
Post Reply Quote easbert
Ok heres the set up from the top of my head..
Car is a 1998 Honda Civic HX
My H-U is a Clarion VRX925VD In-dash Dvd player (installed at a shop in 2003)
My subwoofer is a 12" JL Audio W7
I have three amps mounted on my back seat;
The subwoofer amp is a JL Audio 500/1
Then there is two MTX Thunder amps-- I think that one of them powers the 6 X 9's and then the other amp powers my JL Audio tweeters. There is also a small power cap im guessing to be .5 farads.
Ok, so I bought this car in March of this year, I have all the reciepts for the stereo equipment so I know it was professionaly installed. Everything worked great until about a month ago. I started hearing engine noises from my inside speakers. This lasted for about a week. Whenever i would hear the sound I would just turn off the head unit for a while and then turn it back on. Well after a while something happened and the noise stopped. Everything was working great again for another week or so. Then I had the volume up at a medium level, and the music stopped. The headunit stayed on but all three amps turned off. So I messed around with the wires a little and got the amps to turn back on, but they still VERY RANDOMLY will turn off. They arent overheating because sometimes when I get into my car and turn it on in the morning the amps will be off. Ive narrowed it down to either a ground, or a remote wire problem. My grounds seem to be working fine, but the amps just turn off for no reason, and the only way to get them back on is to turn off my headunit, and then back on (which only works sometimes!)
If anybody has had this problem please let me know some things that I can do without taking my car to the shop!! I cant afford all that!
Thanks
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
I gave you a suggestion. Did you try that? If you did, then what was the result of it? If you didn't, go do it, then come back and tell us what happened.
(I would also suggest you post in your OTHER thread the result, don't open a new thread. I know you were able to find it, as you copied and pasted your previous post, to create this thread... Please don't do that.)
You came looking for help, and we will happily do what we can, but you have to provide feedback... Without it, we could search forever, and post up suggestion after suggestion, and we'd never know what is goin on at your end.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  

it sounds like a poor connection somewhere.   the first thing i would check, since all of the amps are cutting out, is the connection at the battery.  it may have corroded or worked itself loose.  also check the fuse, it may appear to not be blown, but some fuses (especially glass type fuses) can go bad from vibration and heat.

do you have a digital multimeter?  it would be a good idea to measure the voltage at each connection point to see if you can find a voltage drop caused by a poor connection.

how many pieces of equipment are connected to the remote turn on of the head unit?  you said you have 3 amps,  that is alot for a head unit to turn on, it may require that you add a relay.

edit  (i didnt realize that he posted this somewhere else)

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
And as far as "too many things to turn on"? I have 3 amps and 2 processors that I turn on with one remote lead, I personally do NOT belive that's the issue at all. Most heads are current limited to 500mA on the remote lead, and most amps use in the vicinty of 20 to 50mA to turn on...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

i've seen some head units not like more than 3 pieces of equipment on the remote turn on wire.  just to be safe i wire up a relay when i need to power up more than 2 items.  it might not be neccesary, but it wont hurt anything. 

just recently, i swapped an older radio out for a new radio on a boat i was working on.  the amps wouldnt power up with the new radio, added the relay, and it fixed it. 

i was just tossing an idea out there. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic