icon

’96 Sunfire Widebody Progress

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slimmatic 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
I just picked up another car, '99 Toyota Solara, so the real work can begin on the fire.
I will be updating this thread as I progress through the project. I really have no timeline, but I just plan on working on this in my spare time. All comments/criticisms welcome. Also, if anyone feel ambitious and would like to do some photoshops, that would be great.
I am still working on the design. As of right now, I am planning on making a slighty modified mold of the Streetfire front bumper I have now. The fenders will be widened as they go back, and will be blended into the front bumper. The sideskirts will be widened and a line will run up to the rear window, with the rear quarter panel behind the line being widened. The rear bumper will be custom and not stick out.
Here are a few very poor photoshops that I did
’96 Sunfire Widebody Progress -- posted image.
Here is the car as it started
Some slight design changes to the front bumper
Working on a design
One dilemma that I have right now is weather to make the sideskirts smooth on the bottom like in my first photoshop above, or to make a mold of the bottom part of the Type-J skirts which in the picture below you can see has it's own line that I could extend.
I am going to mess around tonight with some different designs, and will be back to doing some more work tomorrow. Thanks for looking.
slimmatic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
I taped up and started making a mold of the rear quarter panel today. I finished just before it started raining.
I'm at a little bit of a standstill until I finalize the design. I should be able to do some more work around the middle of the week. Hopefully I figure out more of the design the then.
I also need to make a list of what else I will be needing and need to put an order in at US Composites. I've only used Bondo brand resin since I can get it locally, but for a project like this I think I will start ordering the materials online.
slimmatic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I wanted to work on the design a little more but it kept raining off and on, so I pulled the car in the garage and continued.
slimmatic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I got 1 layer of glass on the front bumper today.
e36rok 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything but why spend all that money on the Sunfire + materials and end up with an odd-looking Pontiac when that money would have gone towards buying a half-decent car worth owning? I hope it turns out even on both sides so it doesn't look like one of those "did-it-in-the-garage-with-a-buddy" Civics/Cavaliers/Sunfires running around.
What are your plans for paint?
slimmatic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
e36Rock - I like the Sunfire and enjoy modifying it, which is why I am doing the widebody for it. As far as cost goes, I will be selling my existing bodykit, which will cover much of the material cost for this project.
--
Well, today I removed the quarter panel and did some trimming. I then just hung it up to get an idea of how it looked.
It took a while to get it off of the car, which makes me worried about how hard it will be to get the mold off of the front bumper. I added one more layer of glass to the bumper today. I am wondering if it will be easier to remove now with only 2 layers of glass, or after adding a few more layers.
I also did a few layers on the passenger side quarter panel.
huber 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

Looks like a great idea for a project.....I am very interested to see how it turns out!

By the way....Have you worked with fiberglass before this project?

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

e36rok wrote:
I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything but why spend all that money on the Sunfire + materials and end up with an odd-looking Pontiac when that money would have gone towards buying a half-decent car worth owning? I hope it turns out even on both sides so it doesn't look like one of those "did-it-in-the-garage-with-a-buddy" Civics/Cavaliers/Sunfires running around.
What are your plans for paint?
I mean not to sound rude or anything, but why are you against it? I go to several car shows every year and I am always happy to see a vehicle that a person has put effort and time into. The Sunfire is a good car... it's nothing to be snobby about. I myself am using a Saturn ION as a base for my designs. Are you going to call my project not so decent too?

Before you post something like this again, please DON'T!

I commend this project. It's not some overlypriced crazy project that has tons of companies sponsoring it or whatnot. It is also a project that not just anybody can do in your words "half-decent".

I don't mind reading criticism on the12volt, but seriously, this is a complete flame in sheep skin.

----------------------------------
Slimmatic, keep up the work and keep us posted. I'm rooting for you 110% ^-^

Yokudekimashta! Ganbatte ne!

Loves Keiika

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
e36rok 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  

^^^ Easy there turbo... there are so many "home-made" Sunfires and Cavaliers running around my city that look like crap. I just said make it even on both sides. 

And by my "half-decent" comment I meant instead of spending money on the car + materials (and time) to get an end result of a batmobile that has flappy bumpers at 50mph like the ones I've seen so many times before, the same amount of money could have gone towards an awesome car.

GL on the project if it turns out great you have my respect, if it turns out like the ones down my street I will kick you in the balls :P

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

Ok... I'll let this one slide except for one part:

e36rok wrote:
the same amount of money could have gone towards an awesome car.

Any car can be an awesome car and to the people who love their car enough, it is an awesome car. I think that anyone who says that has no real respect for other people. For me, it just feels like they say it out of obligation then rather than from the heart.

e36rok wrote:

^^^ Easy there turbo... there are so many "home-made" Sunfires and Cavaliers running around my city that look like crap. I just said make it even on both sides. 

Come to my city then, you'll see LOADS of civics with poor installs and lots of Suns and Cavis that rock. Then there is that insane Saturn that, I joke you not, has I think 6 wings all over it... o____o yeah.... There is that point where you go from stylin' to wth... (2 wings on the hood with some phony stick on pipes on the hood, 2 wings mounted on the roof, 1 on the trunk, 1 off the rear bumper)

e36rok wrote:

GL on the project if it turns out great you have my respect, if it turns out like the ones down my street I will kick you in the balls :P

Oh come now... I think that anyone truly willing to go where slimmatic is and actually do the work should be given the chance to reproduce ^-^

The world could use more go-getters and people willing to go the extra mile... If I wasn't already married, I would jump on a guy like that... oh wait >.< I did ^-^;

I'm sorry if I seemed a little snappy in that last post. I guess for me, I'm just a bit short tempered about that after dealing with a LOT of rude people over the past few days. Forgive me?

Arigatou!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic