icon

front right speakers very quiet?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ryan h 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all, quick question here.  I am not "in the know" about audio stuff, and have always thought the speakers on my front right side were blown.  I took them out today for inspection and they don't appear to be blown, and the audio is in fact coming out of them however it is very quiet, but clear.  If I adjust the balance so it only plays out of those speakers and turn it up loud, they play, but still quietly.  Is this a sign of a blown speaker, or something bad in the head unit or amp?  I have checked all the wires and they are fine.

It is a Blaupunkt Austin CD41 head unit going through a JVC "DOHC Nikki Sixx" amp.  The car came with this stuff, I did not wire it however I have checked all of the wires and they aren't broken, they're all soldered and sealed tightly, and all connected correctly.  Thank you for your help!

bigbangs 
Copper - Posts: 12
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
The polarity is reversed. Check to make sure you have the positive going to the positive of the speaker and the negative going to the negative
Pioneer Deck
5.25 Kicker Front Speakers
6.5 Kicker Rear Speakers
2 12" Directed SX Subwoofers
Hifonics Brutus BXi 1206D AMP
1 Capacitor
2 gauge wiring..Big 3 upgraded
Steady 13.8 volts
ryan h 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Ha!  Thank you!  I hope you're right!  I'm gonna go out and switch the wires at my amp and see what happens.  This should be OK, right?
ryan h 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm, I switched polarity of the F R speakers at the amp and still get the same thing.  What could this mean?
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

You said it's just the front right one and not both front ones? Try switching the two front speakers around at the amp (left sp to right output, right sp to left output) and see if the left one does what the right one was doing. If it does, the amp may be defective. If not, and the right one still doesnt play loud, then it may be defective.

And what do you mean front right speakers? Is it one speaker (woofer and tweeter(s) in same unit) or are they components (separated woofer and tweeter)?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
ryan h 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
jmelton86 wrote:

You said it's just the front right one and not both front ones? Try switching the two front speakers around at the amp (left sp to right output, right sp to left output) and see if the left one does what the right one was doing. If it does, the amp may be defective. If not, and the right one still doesnt play loud, then it may be defective.

And what do you mean front right speakers? Is it one speaker (woofer and tweeter(s) in same unit) or are they components (separated woofer and tweeter)?

Its just the two speakers on the right side in the front.  They run off of each other from the same connection, four wires and two plugs.  Thanks for the idea, I will try switching them out and see what happens.  Can the head unit cause this problem as opposed to the amp, or could either do this?

ryan h 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I hooked it all back up like it was, then swapped the R and L side at the amp.  The problem moved over to the driver's side and the passenger side plays fine now.

I guess the question is, which part is likely the faulty subject?  The amp or the head unit?  Is there some sort of test I can do?  I have no idea how to bypass the amp...

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

It could either be in the source or the wiring.  You switched output connections at the source but not at the actual speaker locations.  Next test I would do is to use my own wires to connect source to speakers.  You can use the amp outputs as you did before.  These are temporary speaker wire runs and don't have to be routed through the car like the permanent ones.  Disconnect the current wiring and replace with your new temporary wires.  You will find out if the problem is in the wiring from source to speakers.

Otherwise, to test input at the amplifier you should switch L and R inputs.  Pull out the RCA cables and switch them at  the amplifier.  If this causes the speakers to change locations like you witnessed before, either the deck or one of the RCA cables is at fault.  Try new RCA cables to narrow that down, and run them as temporary through the car as you did the speaker wiring.  But if the speakers' sounds remain the same, and you also ruled out the speaker wires, the amplifier is at fault.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ryan h 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
I swapped the RCA cables as suggested and the problem moved back to the passenger side.  I will swap RCA cables tomorrow and see if I can figure out whats going on. :)  I'd much rather replace either my head unit or RCA cables than the amp, because this amp is on the rather pricey side.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

ryan h wrote:
I swapped the RCA cables as suggested and the problem moved back to the passenger side. 

Good news, then.  You ruled out your pricey amp.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic