icon

new best buy installer any advice?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tegger 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

I'm going to be starting as an installer part time at BB next week. I worked at circuit city doing car audio sales for 2 years. I'm pretty knowledgable in car audio, but I don't have any real install experience outside of my own car (head unit, 4ch amp, sub amp, coax speakers, dynamat). I want to learn the right way to do things. Do you guys have any advice as far as what to expect, recommended tools, things to look out for etc.? I plan to get at least the basic MECP. I also plan to apprentice at a local shop with a 35-year install vet and this BB's former lead installer once a week to gain better experience and knowledge if I can squeeze it in.

I've been reading other threads and it looks like there are a lot of best buy people on here.

I'm a female by the way. I expect to get crap from customers because of it. I got plenty on the sales floor. Guys don't seem to like it when a girl knows more than them when it comes to anything car related.

Also, when it comes to dress code, I'm only allowed to wear bermuda style shorts or pants. What do guys think of a woman in bermuda (knee-length) shorts? They look like guy shorts to me. I'm in the south and it's really hot and humid, so I guess I'll have to suck it up and buy some of those dude shorts...

Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
First, a quality drill. I recommend DeWalt 12 volt.
A set of Klein crimpers.
At least one panel popper, though if you can get'em a set of the BOJO panel removers are nice.
Those should get you started and as you go along you'll figure out what you need.
Don't worry bout the female thing; guys that let that kind of stuff get to them have their own brand of problems.
And as far as the shorts go, believe me: if you think you're not getting treated seriously now, try wearing shorter shorts to install in....
tegger 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Good point about the shorts.
I bought some Klein cutter/crimpers and GB auto strippers today. I plan on using my husband's 14.4V Dewalt till he gets back from deployment. Where can I buy panel poppers?
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Nice choice on the auto-strippers. I got some from Lowes and love'em. As far as panel poppers, look online for the best prices. If you need them quicker than that, call the snap-on, mac tools, or cornwell rep and check their prices. Cornwell makes the exact same stuff as snap-on with the same warranty but without the inflated price, ya know?
One other thing: you may want to check with your senior or a mgr. about working at another shop; even though its to make you better at your job at Best Buy, they might consider it a "conflict of interest"...
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Silvrefox, one thing I will add though is that you will probably want a socket set, I think Sears normally has about a 100 piece set for like 70 bucks. I also second the bojo panel poppers I believe their website is bojoinc.com and they have complete 10 piece sets for like 25 bucks. Good luck and if you ever need anything just ask and someone will generally have an answer.
--->Richard
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

if you want to be everyone's best friend, get yourself a skewdriver

http://www.toolstoragewarehouse.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3211

be sure to accept bribes for lending it out new best buy installer any advice? -- posted image.

not sure if it was mentioned, but a digital multimeter is a must have for any installer.

spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2007 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
basic tools I'd suggest are:
clutched drill, variable speed, lots of bits
screwdrivers,sockets,scratch awl.
set of picks,singles or set of both metal and plastic upholstery tools
crimpers,strippers,side cutters,and tin snips
uni-bit or step drill bit,and regular drill bits.
the best DMM (digital multi-meter you can afford)*i use fluke*
nice set of test leads for the meter,yak22 soldering iron or better.
right angle,magnetic pick up tool,grommet tools,and a 9v battery (shh)
there are lots of tools that a vet installer uses but those are the daily basics for me,even though i have way more tools than that, i need those to get through a normal day, even covering at another store.
rtfm
tegger 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2007 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
spookiestylez wrote:
basic tools I'd suggest are:
clutched drill, variable speed, lots of bits
screwdrivers,sockets,scratch awl.
set of picks,singles or set of both metal and plastic upholstery tools
crimpers,strippers,side cutters,and tin snips
uni-bit or step drill bit,and regular drill bits.
the best DMM (digital multi-meter you can afford)*i use fluke*
nice set of test leads for the meter,yak22 soldering iron or better.
right angle,magnetic pick up tool,grommet tools,and a 9v battery (shh)
there are lots of tools that a vet installer uses but those are the daily basics for me,even though i have way more tools than that, i need those to get through a normal day, even covering at another store.
What do you mean yak22 soldering iron? I was looking at this gun (or a similar craftsmen or radioshack model). What kind/where can I get the grommet tools?
Also, when I was at circuit city, all the guys in the shop had "soft totes" for their hand tools, dmm, etc. I'm pretty sure they were snap-on, everyone had the same one and most all the tools used in the shop were snap-on. I really liked those, but I went on snap-on's website and I couldn't find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've been looking all over the internet and in stores for a similar canvas tool tote, but I can't find one. I really like all the pockets on the outside of the snap-on one.
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2007 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
That's the same soldering gun I use and I love it the only downside is that replacement tips are kind of hard to find for it.
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
tegger 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2007 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
ferretvw wrote:
That's the same soldering gun I use and I love it the only downside is that replacement tips are kind of hard to find for it.
That seems to be the only complaint for all the one's I've looked at.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic