icon

resin hardens

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

I know that they will both cure, and that the one exposed to blacklight will cure faster.  I could given the thermodynamic propeties of a certian resin mix tell you how quickly it would cure as a realtion to distance away from a UV light source.  The same would apply for a spurce such as sunlight thou

I think you are totally missing the point here mate.  UV light is a source of electromagnetic radiation.  That means that its a source of heat.  While a UV light never appers to get hot, on an atomic level each wave of UV light transmitts engery(heat) to the surafce that its pointed at.  The excitement of particles at the bonding zone results in the catalyst helping the breaking and forming of new bonds withhin the particle network.

Your orignial argument is wrong.  UV light has no special properties that makes fibreglass harden.  It can speed up the drying process becuase it is a heat source.  What is sunlight??  Sunlight is a stronger and more concentrated form of UV light.  There will be a relationship between curing time of a resin and light intensity that its exposed to.

Please before you put forawrd an argument fully understand what you are talking about.  Go and do your experiment and use sunlight instead of UV light.  When the item placed in sunlight cures quicker, come back and undersantd what iam saying an correct yourself.

I think even my 14yr old brother could tell me that UV light is a source of heat and it will speed up reactions.  The intensity will however vary this time.

I dont think curing in the sunlight will greatly or noticably (by a person) increase the brittleness of the resin.  I would say there would be a change in the stress strain curve of the material and it could be measured or calcualted experimentally.  But i dont think you could physically tell the differnce.  The amount of catalyst added will determine the maximum speed at which the reation can occur.  If you add more catalyst then is recommened then you could in theory speed up the reation to a point were either the chemical balance of the product is upset, or the bonds are formed too fastto be as stable as slower forming bonds.

If you use the correct amount of catalyst. letting and item cure in the sunlight should be no worries at all.

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  

its very simple follow manufacturers instructions and mix '''working batches" batches you can apply before hardening occures.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic