the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

intellistart

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
corrado007 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2007 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

I'm installing intellistart in a 2000 CRV with a Clifford Concept 470 alarm. I have the alarm working properly (dome light, door locks, sensors, trunk pop, etc) but I can't seem to get the intellistart to work properly (it's my first remote start). I can get it to crank when I hit the * button like it's supposed to but it won't stay running and when I start the car with the key it keeps running unless I unplug the heavy cable harness from the intellistart to disable it. I'm having problems locating 2 wires and I'm not sure what to do with 2 others.

1) I'm not sure I have the correct tach wire. I have a blue/black wire that I believe to be it which is located at the factory alarm green plug at the driver's kick panel (this CRV is not factory alarm equipt, just had keyless entry). This Blue/black wire shows continuity with what I believe is the tach test wire plug (has only one pin and a rubber cap over the connecter) in the engine bay near the driver's strut tower. It is also common with the blue wire from the distributer. When I hook it up to a meter with black to ground and red to the wire and the meter set to AC, there is voltage but it is constant, not fluctuating with RPMs like suggested else where. Where's it at?

2) I can't find the reverse light (+) wire on the CRV (don't know what color or location) to hook up to the blue/green wire on the Intellistart 4. I've been poking around behind the gague cluster, looking for a gear shift selection switch, etc... but I can't find one. I only found a white wire behind the gagues that goes from +12 to 0 volts when it's in reverse. Should I just throw a relay on that?  I'd rather find the reverse light wire.

3) There's a gray/orange wire on the intellistart that's supposed to go to heater 2 but the CRV doesn't have heater 2 (not found in car or on diagrams/charts). Do I just hook it up to heater 1 also or leave it unused?

4) There's an ORANGE / gray wire on the unit also that needs to go to ignition 2 but again, there's no ignition 2. Does it just go to ignition 1 or stay unused?

The installation guide for the intellistart is not good at all, very little detail and it doesn't mention what to do if you car doesn't have a second ignition or heater etc... The concept 470 manual was great compared to it. I'd really appreciate any help anyone could offer. Thanks!

phonymike 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  

yeah on your tach wire, it will increase with engine rpm. I had a grand am thought I had the tach wire, but the voltage didn't go up much when I increased rpm. if you think about it, the voltage should double. say 2,000 rpm should read maybe 2 volts, 4,000rpm should read 4 volts (just a guess.)

if you insert the key and don't even turn it to acc, will it remote start then? you might have an immobilizer. my 2001 prelude has one, I needed an immobilizer bypass module (chip in the key.)

I got the tach wire from behind the gauge cluster, I would recommend soldering it. I got the honda book on mine so I know exactly what it is (blue for me.) I'd check the gauge cluster, maybe unplug a few plugs, start up the car, and see if the tach moves. if it does, turn off the car (just to be safe) and try unplugging more. once you found the plug, probe each one with the multimeter on AC (it's not really ac it's a pulse.) then solder into the harness so it's in nobody's way.

why do you need the reverse light? for a remote start I'd think you want a ground signal when in either reverse or park. on mine I tapped into a wire by the transmission ecu (under the carpet, bolted down under a big plate upsidedown,) but later found out the same wire goes to the immobilizer. again it's pry different, but on mine the P/R throws a ground on a grey wire near the tranny ecu or immobilizer, and I see that the reverse lights get a + signal from a relay on a grn/blk wire, check the rear of the vehicle, and see how the reverse lights work, then follow the wire or wire color..

your crv probably has an IGN2, check the big wires coming from the ign switch, they come together in a plug, should have the main power wire, ign, and ign2. a separate plug has the acc wire if memory serves. I don't know about a heater 2 wire, never heard of those before.

hope that helps, again we have totally different vehicles, but they're both honda, and similar years, so good luck.

phonymike 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 3:25 AM / IP Logged  

check the vehicle wiring diagrams here https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehicles.html they have your car, along with tach, ign2, and neutral safety switch (I assume that's what you're looking for, it needs to be hooked up so the car doesn't start in gear.)

corrado007 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

Hey Phonymike, Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. You're right about testing for the tach wire, I'll have to go back and recheck more carefully to make sure that's the wire I'm using. I did figure out which plug operates the tach and found one blue wire on that plug that is common with the wire I'm using so hopefully it will produce the correct signal when I test it tonight. As for remote starting with out or  with the key, it will initiate the remote start without the key, the lights go on on the dash and everything works as it should, the car cranks and begins to start but then shuts down. I believe the tach wire isn't hooked up properly or the rpm learning has not been done properly so the car doesn't know it's on and shuts off.

As for the reverse light, the install manual says to hook a blue/green wire up to a (+) signal from the reverse light on automatics. If I had configured it to manual transmission mode it would need to be hooked up to the hand brake. I was surprised it wouldn't need to be grounded either way. Anyway, this wire is to shut down the car if the key isn't in and someone tries do dirve it when it's started.

I did find the 2nd ignition wire last night and hooked up the ORANGE / gray wire to it ( I reviewed the 12volt wiring diagram as you suggested, I've been using one from directtechs that didn't include it and had set aside the 12 diagram that I printed out to begin with.) Now I just need to figure out what to do with the gray/orange wire that's supposed to go to a 2nd heater wire, the crv doesn't have one of those, perhaps I just hook it up to the 1st heater as well???

After that's done I'm going to have to figure out how to shut the car off. Like I said, when I start it now or just turn on the ignition (using the key), the ignition stays on. If I start it all the way the car runs and if I just turn on the ignition the ignition stays on when i take the key out. For some reason it thinks it's in short stop mode or something. The brake pedal switch is wired in but won't turn it off. Hmmm. Who knew something with so few wires could be such a pain, I could have installed the alarm 2x over by now instead of this remote start!

phonymike 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
yeah the reverse light makes no sense, on my viper it's essentially the brake input. if someone hops in your car while it's running, then touches the brake pedal, the car shuts down. on mine, if you pop the hood it also shuts down. maybe your brake input isn't hooked up correctly. I tied it to the brake lights cause it needed a + signal. the neutral safety is real important. many times I'll be messing with my stereo, and to do that I have to jam something thin into the shift console and move the shifter all the way to the back (D1) so I can remove the stereo. if I were to accidently remote start it while the shifter was all the way back in gear like that, the car would drive into the house. so to remote start my car, the brakes must not be pressed, the hood must be closed, and the car must be in neutral or park.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Older Cliffords and Avital's have a reverse wire input. If you can't find the reverse wire in the car, don't worry about hooking it up. It is not needed.
The tach wire is NOT located at the factory alarm plug.
You can often find it at the fuse box inside the car. It will be a solid blue wire. It will meter around 6V AC at idle, and will increase up to around 10V AC when you rev the engine to 3000 RPM's. If you don't find it there, use the wire at the tach test connector under the hood.
Your car has 1 ignition wire, and 2 accessory wires. The 2nd accessory wire (WHITE/ black)is not needed on your car. It power the radio, wipers and some other things that are not needed when you remote start. Just tape up any ignition 2 or accessory 2 outputs on the remote start.
corrado007 
Posted: July 31, 2007 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Phonymike & JWorm, thank you both very much for your help. Last night around midnight I got the whole thing working and put back together. I did as you mentioned and just took the tach signal from the test connector under the hood after testing it for a proper signal. I also found that I had hooked up the AC/heater wire (gray) to the accessory wire (super tired from the night  before and not thinking right when I did that) which is what was keeping the car running when I took the key out. It's amazing what taking a fresh look at things the next day can do. I got the (+) reverse signal from the instrument cluster, and that solved all my problems. So everything works perfect and I now have a remote start install under my belt. Thanks again guys!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic