icon

high output alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaketime81 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2007 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 98 lincoln towncar with a dual battery setup: optima red top for starting and optima yellow top for audio, my alternator just went out and i am thinking of going with a ho alt, stinger ho alt, makes them 150-200 amps, but im not sure how high i should go with.  The stock alt is 135amp. Is it even going to be worth going with a higher than stock  alt or should i just go with the oem replacement? I will have 2 - 4channel polk amps and a kicker 1500 watt sub amp and small power inverter running off my secondary battery. about 3000 watts total max power.
jake
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 13, 2007 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
i've heard bad things about those stinger alts...like them failing within a year
tazdevil2575 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Stinger is not that great. Try this, hit up a audio shop and ask if they can reccomend someone to build a higher amp one. I have a place near me that does it. It a auto electric shop and all i had to do was buy a new or reman one and left it with them for 3 days. They turned it into a 180 amp from the stock 120. I had 4000 watts and 2 deep cycle batteries. Also i had that car and that setup for 3 years and never had a issue.
jaketime81 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
I found a shop to rebuild it. They built it up from stock 135amps to 200amps for about 150 bucks, and they cover it for up to 1 year. Im going to put it back together today hope all goes well.
jake
tazdevil2575 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2007 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
there ya go....easy when you can find a place that still does it...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic