icon

2 subs in one box with no divider

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevesrcworld 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2007 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
i am working on a box for my new 2007 tundra crewmax and was wanting to build the smallest box i can so it doesn't interfere with the reclining back seats. i am going to use two audiobahn dvc subs and my question is can i run both of these speakers in one box with no divider? i beleive that the speakers call for 1 cubic foot of space per sub. and i can only get about 1.3 for both of them. i was thinking that maybe they could be run in one box that size with the amp bridged so they play the same. is this possible or am i crazy? are there any other tricks i could do to make them run in a small space togeather such as this or what is the smallest area they should run in? thanks
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2007 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
First of all the manufacturers specs are generally spot on when it comes to enclosure sizes so you don't really have enough room for two of those subs. Second of all if you don't already have the subs I would highly recommend going with something else as you can get much better for the price you will probably pay for those subs, also in my experience audiobahn subs generally require large airspaces for their subs. If you have to use those subs then I would recommend using 1 in the proper sized enclosure, it will sound much better than two in an enclosure thats much too small imo. Hope this helps.
--->Richard
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2007 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

The wiring of the subwoofers makes absolutely no difference in terms of their interaction with the airspace around them.  Of course you neglected to tell us the size of the woofers you are considering... but 1cft recommended probably means a 12.

A pair a of 12's in 1.3cft will sound truly awful, don't waste your money or your time.

Actually, in your case I'd recommend a pair of 8's.... playing directly into the listening area like that does real well with smaller woofers and you'd get the most boom-for-space.  1.3 cft, even for 10's, is still a bit smallish.

Oh.  And do something other than Audiobahn.  Yuk.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
chicknwing88 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2007 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
have yo looked into pioneers line of shallow mount subs...i have heard this in person(12s) in the correct size box...they hit pretty hard while hitting most of the notes they say...getting to my point each 12in sub only requires an air space between the amounts of .5 and 1cu ft...just thought is throw it out there =)
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2007 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
+1 on the shallow pioneers. They will fit just about anywhere. If you don't like pioneer, Blaudot and Kicker both make shallow mount subs too. If you want boom, the 8's will probably let you down, but if you just want improved sound, I would encourage the 8's.
chicknwing88 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2007 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
i second sarcomax's reply on the eights....
stevesrcworld 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2007 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the input.i already have the audiobahns. on there website it say's 1-2 cubic foot for the 12's so do you guy's think my best bet would to be to put just one sub in the box at 1.3 cubic feet? i could alway's sell these speakers and get some more. so which models do you recomend for such a small space? would ten's have a better sound than the twelve's? i listen to hard rock music mostly that has punchy bass and i really want it to hit.  but i like to listen to a little rap every now and then and i want it to sound good also. the amp i have already is a crunch blackmaxx 1000 watt. so what's your guy's opinion? one 12 in the correct airspace or two tens? thanks
chicknwing88 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2007 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

belive it or not...im running a dual amp/sub combo...the amp pushes 300 watts max...whiel the sub handles 375 and its only a ten inch...i made a crude but well working sealed box...and i think the single sub sounds better the my buddies 89 camaro with twin duals runnig a 325 dual amp...i only paid 13 bucks for the sub brand new in box...id say go with the single...im sure youll be happy with the results...btw wuts the rms of the amp?

chicknwing88 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2007 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
and the rms of the sub?
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2007 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
My only suggestion is to put whatever sub into the size box that it requires. You can get awesome sound quality and volume out of a single (non audiobling) 10, that as mentioned before can sound better than a multi sub system...If you have the right box.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic