the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

custom 3 way design

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
That's better, but I wouldn't run a crossover into a crossover... Passive components in series will throw the values all off, causing odd crossover slopes and frequencies.
I'd just build a three-way, I think you'd be far better off.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
Well I plan on running the new Alpine Type-X Reference components and don't really want to screw up the sound of the components too much, so you think it's wise for a first time x-over builder to scrap the alpine X-overs and completely make my own?
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
If not going active, and I mean completely active, I'd avoid running two passive crossovers in series, whatever it took.
I'd build a nice 18dB 3-way, apparently you already have the software to do it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

I know this is a descusion of the power user guys but I have always liked the Dyn 6 1/2's  or 8's for that application. I personally prefer 4 of the smaller to two of the 8". They work well without a box or as I have done in the past built a partial encloser with a covered opening. Just my humble opinion. I have managed to fit their 10" in the place of the 6 1/2's  in my doors because the are so small.  But then again you have to like the Dyn's in the first place. The 10's didn't work out so well so I have gone to the JL 12" w6's.

The Dyn's 6 1/2's are my favorites...

Alpine Guy 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged  
I wonder.. If I get a Eclipse CD7100, which I am. It said on the website is is 3-way capable. Does that mean I can get the head unit to do all the work, all i'll need is a 4 channel amp?
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
haemphyst 
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
Well, if you get a deck that is 3-way capable, how will you address the sub? You are actually going with a 4-way system, not a 3-way...
Oh, wait, I just re-read your post... Yes, three-way active, with the top (The Alpines) being split further by a passive... Yes, you can do that, if the 7100 allows a granular enough 3-way tuning. What I mean by that is "will you be able to get the mid-band to go narrow enough, i.e 60Hz to 300Hz or so". Then you can have 60Hz and down for the subwoofer, 60Hz to 300Hz for the bass, and 300Hz and up for the Alpines. This way, you will also be able to keep the passive crossovers for the Alpines.
Jack, I, too, LOVE the Dynes. Sadly, if you don't already have Dynes in-hand, you won't be able to get them, as Dynaudio no longer sells to the do-it-yourselfer. They are now an OEM company only. (Unless this has changed, that's the last I heard... DYohn, input?) About two years ago, they made this VERY BAD decision. I'd take your idea in a second, with the exception of using 2 smaller vice 1 larger. In the car, where you are SO near-field, one single point of output for a given band of frequencies (IMO) is better than two. If trying to steer the image, then two can be helpful, but otherwise, I'd go with one.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
re: crossovers in series.  I do not believe this is what I suggested.  Adding a passive HP to the input of a 2-way crossover will not affect the original crossover points, it will only limit the low frequency extension of the woofer.
Support the12volt.com
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Jack, I, too, LOVE the Dynes. Sadly, if you don't already have Dynes in-hand, you won't be able to get them, as Dynaudio no longer sells to the do-it-yourselfer. They are now an OEM company only. (Unless this has changed, that's the last I heard... DYohn, input?) About two years ago, they made this VERY BAD decision.

It just so happens that SLO has a dealer for the car audio dyns. He is where I just got the the single mid and tweet for my center channel...unless you are using the Term "OEM" as they sell to retailers only. They are a bitch to find other wise but worth it to me. custom 3 way design - Page 2 -- posted image..

Yeah One point would be better typically but as you have guessed I will be doing a little steering (maybe) in a vertical stack. Most don't have the room but I do....

Alpine Guy 
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I really appreciate everyones help so far, im going to take some time and study and learn this stuff properly, im going to look into the options the head unit offers for me then go from there. I have lots of books I can use to properly understand the effects of inductance and capacitance used in crossover networks, im now in my 3rd semester of a Electrical Technologist diploma so we will be learning this stuff this semester.
Alpine Guy 
Posted: September 17, 2007 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the Adire Extremis is no longer available, as well as the Mpyre midwoofers. Any other suggestions for a midwoofer in the 7" range?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic