the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

how to choose the right amount of power.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2007 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
tubbs04 wrote:
add up all the fuses you have on your amp(s) (ex: if you have (3) 30 amp fuses, I would put a 100 infront of it... always have a little more than you need...)
While that is not WRONG, it's not complete... The primary fuse is NOT there to protect the amplifiers. You are installing the primary fuse to protect the wire and the car. It's value will be based on the size of the wire in which it is installed:
#8 - 100A
#4 - 150A
#2 - 225A
1/0 - 350A
There was a long thread about this recently - it was so full of CORRECT information, it became a sticky! Read it, know it, live it! how to choose the right amount of power. - Page 3 -- posted image.
Based on the above chart, and the response posted by tubbs04, if you only had 90A worth of amplifier capacity, you would only use a #8 wire (fused for 100A) in your installation.
While it isn't unsafe to put in a fuse smaller than is necessary, why insist on the additional expense of a wire that is larger than you have to have? Fuse for the wire size, not the current draw, and size the WIRE for the current draw.
Or more correctly, add up the total of your fuses (example 3 - 30A fuses = 90A of capacity) and a #8 is capable of supporting 100A, so why use a wire larger than a #8? Install a #8, and then fuse it for 100A, as that is what it is capable of carrying safely..
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2007 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
What would we do without haemphyst??? hahaha, Thanks for the correction/completion of my answer. Never really understood it was for protecting the vehicle... Just thought it was another safety feature so as not to turn amps krispy! makes sense though... just a little disapointed that it just now came to my attention... better late than never i guess...
...don't crush the weasel...
cartechaudio 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2007 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Guys! hey any body got some photos of their ride? maybe we could all share idea and opinions. i know there is a section devoted to that but the rides we too funny to keep looking at.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic