icon

To ttap or not to ttap?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eurobink 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
I almost never test wires, and i test my alarm afteri button up the car.. rarely do i have to change a thing...   but iv been doing it forever
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Sure cheap butane irons are crap but like i say when it comes to tools you get what you pay for. Ive checled the temps of both corded irons and Snap On butane irons with an infared thermometer and the butane iron blows corded guns away. Chefs cook with gas stoves for a reason it is a much better heat source than an electric stove
eurobink wrote:

wow, 2 pages on ttaps..interesting

its nice if you have the luxury of being able to wait for the next customer who may pay your price.. come see us in tampa and drop your techniques here.. you will learn quickly as i did, those practices do not go very far.

event tint.. in michigan we would get $230 for a basic 4door car..

down here.. $79 to $129.. and here they use the better film to prevent fading.. Miami is even worse... What works in your area does not work everywhere.. thats business planning 101..

working for someone and struggling to make your own paycheck are not the same animal.. if you have deep pockets.. once again, you have the luxury of time..  every shop down here is switching gears to different industries for extra income... well, i havent polled evryone,... but from the major players, yes.. im friends with them..

"You only lose those cheapo customers temporarily because when they go down the street to the hack shop and there car doesn't start 2 months or even 2 weeks down the road they then will call the professionals to fix it. " 

if you ever get a shop of your own, you will retract that statement very fast.

Look at car audio sector...

Mobile electronics labeled it as ... 'what was high-fi is now low-fi'  mass merchants crippled local shops.. manufactures that saw potential profits there, dropped the mom n pop shop for walmart or BB..     it's price price price...

chinese trade jumped ridiculous numbers.. nothing like this 'Mr 12volt' in history of our industry has happened.. to educate consumers is very costly.. im sure a cost none of your bosses are willing to absorb.

I do agree with your thought process of quality over quantity.. then again, there is the food industry.. just because i agree with you guys on how it should be, doesnt make it so.

Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Wow, as a shop owner if I had that happen in my shop you would be gone instantly.  Living in detroit does not equal living in the elements, stop by in january here and we will review some temperatures and snowfall. As far as what is used for connection we have seen many scotchlock connections fail. Please don't ask what model number, they are thrown out after removal. They mainly come from a competitor of mine that has been in business for nearly twenty years. Since opening I strive on doing quality work that does not come back with issues, not everything is perfect but our return rate for install related issues is low. Since opening they have lost nearly all dealer contracts, their customer base has disappeared, uh people are willing  to pay for a quality installation, which includes training on the product they had installed. One thats not rushed and tested several times, prior to leaving. As far as boasting install times, come. Installs like this are whats degrading this industry, this is why people don't trust mobile electronics stores or installers. You have also re-inforced why commision based installs are not the way to go, the only thing you an the installer will look at is how long it takes to slap it in and get it out the door, not how long its going to last trouble free or when its coming back with issues.. I will stick to paying my staff hourly for quality installations and work they can be proud of. As far as t-taps I am aware of only 3 sizes used to accomdate several different gauge of wire, hmm? On another point you say you need moisture for corrosion correct, why do you think most  dashs have surface rust on the steel bracing inside after only 1 winter hmm moisture from snow and ice (salt)that is melted from the heat in the car. Maybe going from below zero to 60 degress causing condensation, hmm. You can install as you wish, everyone has their own style, mine is best thoughTo ttap or not to ttap? - Page 3 -- posted image.
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
xtremej wrote:
Wow, as a shop owner if I had that happen in my shop you would be gone instantly.  Living in detroit does not equal living in the elements, stop by in january here and we will review some temperatures and snowfall. As far as what is used for connection we have seen many scotchlock connections fail. Please don't ask what model number, they are thrown out after removal. They mainly come from a competitor of mine that has been in business for nearly twenty years. Since opening I strive on doing quality work that does not come back with issues, not everything is perfect but our return rate for install related issues is low. Since opening they have lost nearly all dealer contracts, their customer base has disappeared, uh people are willing  to pay for a quality installation, which includes training on the product they had installed. One thats not rushed and tested several times, prior to leaving. As far as boasting install times, come. Installs like this are whats degrading this industry, this is why people don't trust mobile electronics stores or installers. You have also re-inforced why commision based installs are not the way to go, the only thing you an the installer will look at is how long it takes to slap it in and get it out the door, not how long its going to last trouble free or when its coming back with issues.. I will stick to paying my staff hourly for quality installations and work they can be proud of. As far as t-taps I am aware of only 3 sizes used to accomdate several different gauge of wire, hmm? On another point you say you need moisture for corrosion correct, why do you think most  dashs have surface rust on the steel bracing inside after only 1 winter hmm moisture from snow and ice (salt)that is melted from the heat in the car. Maybe going from below zero to 60 degress causing condensation, hmm. You can install as you wish, everyone has their own style, mine is best thoughTo ttap or not to ttap? - Page 3 -- posted image.
AMEN!To ttap or not to ttap? - Page 3 -- posted image.
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
chadwa2003 
Copper - Posts: 353
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
I don't own my own shop but I do help with running it as I am the only employee. As for my statement it happens all the time people don't like our prices we charge for quality work. Some Joe Schmo comes in or calls gets a quote then leaves we see them usually 2-3 weeks down the road when they have to pay double to get it fixed. So I stand behind my statement
eurobink wrote:

wow, 2 pages on ttaps..interesting

its nice if you have the luxury of being able to wait for the next customer who may pay your price.. come see us in tampa and drop your techniques here.. you will learn quickly as i did, those practices do not go very far.

event tint.. in michigan we would get $230 for a basic 4door car..

down here.. $79 to $129.. and here they use the better film to prevent fading.. Miami is even worse... What works in your area does not work everywhere.. thats business planning 101..

working for someone and struggling to make your own paycheck are not the same animal.. if you have deep pockets.. once again, you have the luxury of time..  every shop down here is switching gears to different industries for extra income... well, i havent polled evryone,... but from the major players, yes.. im friends with them..

"You only lose those cheapo customers temporarily because when they go down the street to the hack shop and there car doesn't start 2 months or even 2 weeks down the road they then will call the professionals to fix it. " 

if you ever get a shop of your own, you will retract that statement very fast.

Look at car audio sector...

Mobile electronics labeled it as ... 'what was high-fi is now low-fi'  mass merchants crippled local shops.. manufactures that saw potential profits there, dropped the mom n pop shop for walmart or BB..     it's price price price...

chinese trade jumped ridiculous numbers.. nothing like this 'Mr 12volt' in history of our industry has happened.. to educate consumers is very costly.. im sure a cost none of your bosses are willing to absorb.

I do agree with your thought process of quality over quantity.. then again, there is the food industry.. just because i agree with you guys on how it should be, doesnt make it so.

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

eurobink wrote:
I almost never test wires, and i test my alarm afteri button up the car.. rarely do i have to change a thing...   but iv been doing it forever
  I don't think this is gonna help your argument one bit, in fact, i think it just made it worse. I have no problem with t-taps, because i do have to use them...(not my choice) and i very rarely see a failure with them. Although, on a remote start i do prefer a soldered connection, but I work at car dealerships, and pull out equipment all day long that has been soldered in. I can't tell you you how many exposed connections i've seen. As already mentioned, the correct tape needs to be used, or in my opinion a soldered connection is no better, or in fact worse than a t-tap.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 09, 2007 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
mikvot wrote:

eurobink wrote:
  I don't think this is gonna help your argument one bit, in fact, i think it just made it worse. I have no problem with t-taps, because i do have to use them...(not my choice) and i very rarely see a failure with them. Although, on a remote start i do prefer a soldered connection, but I work at car dealerships, and pull out equipment all day long that has been soldered in. I can't tell you you how many exposed connections i've seen. As already mentioned, the correct tape needs to be used, or in my opinion a soldered connection is no better, or in fact worse than a t-tap.

WHAT?????
Two_Cold 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2007 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
My experience is that soldering is the best. Other connections will corrode over time and can cause problems.
I only use t-taps when I have to, but that is rare. If I use one on a boat I seal the t-tap with a bit of silicone.
I also do boats, so insulating connections is important. All installs I do are soldered with a small butane torch and heat shrink. If tape is necessary I use 3M and if on a boat I seal the tape with a bit of silicone.
I have done many repairs on installs that were done with crimps and to a lesser degree t-taps. Most of these were "do-it-yourself" installs.
eurobink 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2007 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

KarTuneMan...

haha .. i know.. they cant even read and they wanna argue about electronic issues..

hey.. .they are right, they are the best... thats why they get paid the big bucks....

maybe someday i can be just like them.

eurobink 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2007 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

KarTuneMan..

Even for remote starts, TTAPS hold the current no problem..

96 Tahoe.. I installed a Sidewinder 6000ESP.. same as a viper alarm/start.. back in sept 2000 on my best friends truck, who lives in michigan.... not a flaw to this day.. had to replace transmitter batteries once...

I have many customers that long.. no issues.. 3M is the only way..

Now i have tried other TTAPS.. OMG.. they were horrible.. would break easily.. and barely hold any connection.. 3M has a lockin feature, you push until you hear a snap, then you know its on.. to remove, you need pliers, or a very very firm grip.. usually you break the wire...

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic