icon

jack finks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2007 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

OK here are some more pictures. The battery tray is one of the reasons I stopped working on this car. I made all the brakets for the lifts and the amp rack out of steel and aluminum and decided I could learn more. The covers and trim panels would be a lot better if they were made out of metal. They would be stronger and lighter. But I still make moch up out of would then build finish pieces out of metal.

jack finks - Page 3 -- posted image.

These next pictures are about the amp rack and lift. The '73 and '74 ghias did not come with a back seat. VW decided it was not worth it to engineer approved seatbelts for a back seat that was raerly used.  What I did was raise the hieght of the cover for inches to the same hieght as the luggage area that was behind the "seat". This allowed me to place two batteries and the amp rack in the space. I keep a very stock looking area. I also cleaned up the luggauge area with the panels other wise you see the inner fender of the back wheels.

This showes the difference in the original deck hieght and the new deck hieght

The space is now occupied by these blocks that hold the lifts and seat belt. Notice that where the seat beat passes through it is solid.

Here are the lifts in place

Here is the Amp Rack brackets I made to suspend the Amp Racl when the cover is closed. I did this when the cover is up it will present the amps. I use simple door latches that I can slide in and out to service both side of the rack. Pull four pins and the whole rack comes out once you disconnect the wiring. My first attempt at the pins is rather unsaticfactory because there is a LOT of slop in them! I am going to replace the door pins with hood pins from Hot Rods. I will bore out an aluminum block and they will hold positively with the little beeds they have embedded in the ends. The stand off will also be re-worked a little to make them look nicer.

The amps will be mounted on 1/2 inch plexy. This is the moch up plate the amps are currently on.

Yes that is my Hobbit foot. Here is the Rack in the up position...

This is when the top pins are pulled to service the back Amps.

Because of the plexy you will see the inner workings of the two amps on the underside. Maybe a little chessy but it should present well. So any comments? Am I going in a good direction or bad? Any suggestions? Faults? Now is the time to speak up as once I get back into this area there is no going back. Currenty where the old peocessor is in the very back of the luggauge area will either be replaced by the PDX 1.1000 and PDX 4.150 or the last T757. Sorry I like those old Alpine amps! The back area is most likely going to go through some changes in the luggauge area as I'm pretty confident that I'm going to have to build new wheel wells...

Side note I just found an English wheel/Power hammer I can afford to buy to build the dash...Hehehe

jfinks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2007 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  

More comments from me. I'm a nut about being able to access my equipment quickly and easily. That is one of the reason it is made this way. I can- by myself- have this amp rack out in about 3 minutes and on the bench. I can pull the batteries in 2 minutes each without disturbing the amps. I fix a lot of cars and it is a pet peave when things are un-nessisarily difficult to get to....

Oh and yes my spelling is just horrible. I re-read the last post and just shook my head....

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2007 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
I love when the world ends.
There is no such thing as free installation!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2007 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

I love this thread.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
Looks killer Jack. Can't wait to see more!
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
Stevdart, the really scarey thing about this thread is he can actually, maybe, possibly, really pull this off!
There is no such thing as free installation!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
Only 27 years in the works!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jfinks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
enh... I've seen it all before. [:P] When Jack enters the world of "Isobarik loaded, Suffed transmission line" esoterica, THEN I'll believe it!

So am I anywhere near this?

27 years...and your point is?

jfinks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
Stevdart, the really scarey thing about this thread is he can actually, maybe, possibly, really pull this off!

Bwahahaha

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
jfinks wrote:

haemphyst wrote:
enh... I've seen it all before. [:P] When Jack enters the world of "Isobarik loaded, Suffed transmission line" esoterica, THEN I'll believe it!

So am I anywhere near this?

27 years...and your point is?

Dave eats his words... Yeah, you're right up there in the "He's lost his mind..." crowd. Thin air up here, huh, Jack?
Well I guess I can't REALLY talk too uch smack, mine's really been in the works since I started with a Craig R3 50WPC amplifier, running the white cone 12 inch woofers from some OLD Pioneer 12's in my 87 Hyundai. So, while mine's NOT the same car, the system has certainly been "in process" close to that long! jack finks - Page 3 -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic