the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

jeep to shop and the alarm is the cause?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
OrkinYards 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2007 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  

I've had a Python 881xp on my Jeep for atleaset 3 years now if not more. I was pulling out of my garage yesterday and the jeep just cut off - when I went to start it back it turned over but wouldn't crank. I had it towed to the jeep dealer and after spending an hour they called to tell me my Jeep had all kinds of electrical problems and wanted to know about the alarm. I went down there to have a look and he claims that the diagnostic plug won't power up their equipment and immidiately assumed it was the alarms fault. There is a purple and white wire that do t-tap into the same color wires at the diag. plug. I looked up the 455t manual and it seems that those would be correct location for the wires.

He was quick to admit they have no troublshooting ability for stuff that isn't theirs, and because he can't get his diagnostic equipment to power up on my jeep and he sees wires he doesn't know what they are they are blaming it all on the alarm at this point. Does anyone have any ideas? Like I said it has been installed and working for years now - is it possible that the alarm is the reason that the jeep won't start? I can't tow the thing all over the place trying to get it fixed and at this point they said they can spend 3 hours just trying to figure out what is wrong with it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9
shaip99 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2007 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

a few thing that i have in question whatis the model and year of the jeep

but you can check some things no mater what the vehicle

depnding on where they tapped into the wires it is possible that some of the wires broke over time heat and cold can make wires brittle. I would go to each point that the alarm is tapped into the car and chech the connections. hopefully whoever did the install soldered and taped all the connections if they used t-taps that is your likely problem as t-taps tend to break a few of the strands of the wire and they will break the wire later on but if it is taped pull off the tape and check the connection give it a light pull not to hard if is broken it will come apart fairly easily and tada your problem is found

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd
all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive
music."-Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2007 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
this is probably a stupid question, but did you make sure the alarm was disarming? If the alarm isnt disarming for some reason, the starter kill will not allow it to start. +1 on checking the questions as well. By the sounds of the wire on the diag plug being tagged, it sounds like a 456cw was used for bypass... therefore it is probably an 04+ Jeep... please correct me if I am wrong though.
HTH
Kenny
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2007 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
It has to be a 1996-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee because of the fact the poster indicated a 455t was used.
Have them unplug the 455t and all the harnesses leading to the 881XP from the alarm brain. They shouldn't actually need to desolder any wires from the car to troubleshoot at that point since the wires are no longer completing the circuit with the alarm and doorlock module.
I highly doubt the alarm/remote start is to blame.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2007 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
ok, so i cant read. Please ignore probably 75% of my post.. lol. Sorry for the poor info.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
OrkinYards 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2007 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the help guys - a lot of it was done with t-taps...so I will go and check all of that.

If the ignition kill is activated will it even turn over, because my jeep will turn and turn all day, just isn't getting spark...

So if I unhook all of the alarm wires from the brain and where they tap in if they aren't soldered wires then effectively the alarm isn't installed - meaning there is no way the alarm is causing an issue?

Great info! I'll go check it sunday when I get back in town and post back if that fixed the problem

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2007 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
There is no ignition kill. A starter kill would have been installed. The alarm only prevents it from cranking.
T-taps can actually break a wire in half if installed correctly. It may have happened over time because of vibrations. To eliminate the alarm as being the problem you would need to verify that the factory ignition wires are still getting voltage after where the T-tap was installed. I would say the probability of this being the problem is small.
A more likely cause is a bad fuel pump, computer, or many other possible things.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2007 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  

Make sure none of the connections were the t-tpas were used is broken ie not letting current through. If you lost an ignition wire I beleive your fuel system would not operate, but it would allow it to turn over. Make sure to unlug the 455t and double check those connections to the twisted pair wires @ the diagnostic plug.

OrkinYards 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2007 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

Ok - lots to check but I should be able to accomplish all of that! Sure would be great if the jeep cranked right up, it was just so random how it happened - literally no stall, sputter, or anything - just cut off and wouldn't come back.

So does the starter kill allow the car to turn over or does it literally kill the starter motor meaning there would be no turning over or anything?

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2007 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
It will not let it turn over.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic