lancelot 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2007 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

I have terrible radio reception and the dealership has already replaced the:

1. deck

2. antenna

3. antenna holder on the roof

All that's left is the antenna wire itself, and the dealership has quoted over $500 and 2 days as the whole interior of the car has to come apart...I would like to troubleshoot it a bit on my own, however, I cannot get the deck out as it looks like it requires two flat tools to slide into the face of the deck...is there a makeshift tool that I could use that might be in my toolbox?

outtaluck72 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2007 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  

I think you can get the release keys from your local autoparts store. you could also just go to your local Circuit City/Best Buy and talk to the installers. sometimes you can get one of the guys to loan you the tool rihgt in the parking lot, or throw them a couple bucks for the use of the tool.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2007 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, where to start ( Bob slowly shakes his head ). First your problem sounds like it might be the antenna is not getting 12 volts, you know it's an amplified antenna ,right? Second your dealer is a complete ripoff ( surprise! ) it would take a good installer about 2 hours for that job. Now for the last part. Why would you go to Circuit City or Best Buys to ask a vehicle specific question? Better chance of getting the right answer at Burger King. Loan tools!?!? You must be out  of your mind! Let's see, I could charge you for this job or I could risk losing my job becuase I'm doing work on the side while I,m clocked in. Yea that's worth a couple bucks. GRRRRRRRRR.

By the way, the tools you nedd are Metra part # 86-9001. They cost about $10.

There is no such thing as free installation!
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2007 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

For $500 I could put a new head unit in , and run your antenna wire.

If the antenna wire is in question, why hasn't any one done a continuity check with a meter?

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2007 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Dan your talking about a CAR  DEALER.......................
There is no such thing as free installation!
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2007 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, crap. I forgot Bob. Thanks for the ugly reminder. Dealers never cease to amaze me.

By the way to the original poster, do you have both terrible reception on AM and FM?

lancelot 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you guys for the quick responses.

If it's a metra part, I may be able to get it locally.  Thank you...12V amplified antenna...didn't know that...any suggestions on how to test it? I have a DMM, but the cables are no where near long enough to reach the antenna holder and the rear of the deck at the same time...

Haven't tried AM yet Dan...

On the flipside outtaluck is on the right track, I know a guy that works at a local stereo shop (future shop actually).  He's a friend, he'll let me use the tools.  But once I'm in there...how do I test the antenna/antenna holder/antenna wire?

audiomaninc 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
Call me crazy, but the easiest way I can see to solve this problem is to purchase a Metra 44-UA25, or other universal glass mount antenna, a Metra 40VW20 antenna adapter, and of course the appropriate radio removal keys.  It'll take maybe 20 minutes of work, and your headache will be over!  Good luck!
2003 Dodge Neon R/T
Alpine CDA9813, RF T2000.1bd, RF T162S, RFT142C, RF T600.4, RF T215D4
140.7 @ 28Hz
wrenches 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
The center pin should have 12 volts on it coming oput of the radio.  Are you getting no FM, or poor FM? 
lancelot 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

Audiomaniac, thank you for the suggestion...I might just do that, once I get the bloody deck out, I will have a look, I'm not too shabby at troubleshooting stuff once I can see it...and I have an idea what I'm looking for :P

Wrenches...it's poor when in the cities, meaning it will cut out when going under a bridge or big power lines, and it will fade in and out within a city of say a million people...probably 100kW radio station...or 1MW...not sure which..and when I'm about 30km away from the city, it cuts out all together...other vehicles I've driven will go typically 100+kms, some will go 150-200kms, and if you have an fm booster, some will go many hundreds more :)

I will be going to the car audio shop this weekend....weekdays are doodiee for me as I seem to be working long hours these days.  I'll keep you guys up to date as things transpire.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic