icon

dim display problem/dimmer wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fishbulb 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 98 Civic DX hatchback (no keyless/power locks) and am trying to install a Jensen stereo.  Everything works except the display is so dim it is almost impossible to see.  After splicing all the wires, I have one left over.  The adapter that I plugged into my factory harness has an orange wire with a white stripe that says 'Positive Dimmer.'  However, there is no matching wire coming out of my Jensen adapter.  Is this why my display is essentially off?  If so, is there another wire I can hook it (the ORANGE / white dimmer wire) to so my display will work?  Thanks.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  

No, it sounds like the h/u is faulty. The dimmer wire from the car is activated when the lights are turned on, so if you have a dimmer wire on the deck, it dims with the lights switched on, assuming it is night.

So, I'd probably guess the contacts between the detachable face and the unit are bad. Unless that unit has the option to dim it on and off, as some units give the option.

Is it a new or used unit? 

fishbulb 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
It is a used unit, but it didn't have a lot of miles on it.  The display does work; it is just very hard to see.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

Through experience, I have seen numerous Jensen and Linear Power units (same build house) come through with the exact same problem you are describing.

fishbulb 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks.  Would it help to try to pull off the face-plate and clean the connectors? 
swerve 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
anything is worth a try, it may just have a poorly lit display, usually depends on the model, or the led's inside may have burned out. does it look acceptable if you change your angle of viewing or is it dim no matter how you look at it?
git yer swerve on!
fishbulb 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Descriptions of new one tout a 'bright display' so I'm guess it is a problem with the unit, then.  It is dim no matter how you look at it.  You can see the display if you get right up on it.  Is there a chance that a loose wire could cause it?  I used small wire nuts to make my connections.
swerve 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

its possible but very very unlikely. you can try putting new led's in the face but that requires soldering/desoldering. the easiest route would be to replace that head unit with another one. if you want to be totally sure that its the head unit get a multimeter and check the connections and see how much voltage you are getting to the h/u. if you see bat voltage at the plug for the h/u then its more than likely the h/u.

git yer swerve on!
devante 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

I have a '92 Honda Civic DX.

After installing my JVC stereo, I had the same wire left over.

However, whenever I turn the headlights on, the stereo dims accordingly. So (not being an expert) I assume that this dimming function is provided by the illumination wire. At least on our cars.

.x[ Devante ]x.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic