icon

jl audio 12w6's, how big is too big?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
reference10.0 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

I have two JL Audio 12w6's and was wondering if putting them in a sealed 4.6 cubic foot box would be to much? and what cons would there be to this and would there be any pros. the reason i ask is I plan to add another sub later but atm I only have the 2. But when i get the third I plan on cutting a 3rd hole and dropping it in.

reference10.0 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
sorry i posted this in wrong section :( can a admin please remove this thread.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

This is the correct forum for this topic.

jl audio 12w6's, how big is too big? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
reference10.0 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks so any advice on my thread?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  
That sub can use more room than that.  In fact, having two subs in that size box will sound a lot better than putting three in.  And you're going to change the impedance load on the amplifier when you add the third sub too, so pay attention to that detail.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
reference10.0 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply.  i was aware of the ohms drop thats why i wanted to add the third sub so I could get to 1ohm. My amp is stable down to 1/2 ohm so it'll be fine. 

I only ask cause  the jl site said 1.26cf per sub and i know my box is alot bigger than that. I made it for two Kicker CVR D4 12's and they sounded good in it but decided to sell them and get the JL's for better SQ

so if I decide to keep just two in it can someone help me figure out how big a vent slot to put in to make it ported its a 4.6cf single chamber atm.

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

Keep those subs in a sealed enclosure.  You will not improve anything by venting...you WILL lose SQ.  And as I said above, two subs in that enclosure is better than three.  You have to make the decision whether it is worth the resultant decrease in SQ by adding the third sub.  If it is impressively loud right now I suggest leaving it as it is.  You can always make improvements elsewhere.

Post a link to this exact woofer model if you are in doubt.  Then we can all look at it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
reference10.0 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
here is the link to the subs spec page. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/8-12W6_BDS.pdf  but yeah its really loud and clear now so i probably shouldnt mess with it just incase i dont like the end results.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
Putting a sub in an enclosure that's too large ( in this case 2X to large) usually does two things. Yes SQ will be very good, but power handling will suffer. Be very careful about the sub bottoming out.. I would build the correct size box now and build another one if I by a third sub.
There is no such thing as free installation!
stevdart 
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

Good point, tcss, and my bad for not looking at cone excursion.  'Very loud' would bottom out those subs in that enclosure.  JL box specs at 1.25 cu ft per sub do protect from overexcursion (at the expense of SQ).  You will get a -12 db / octave rolloff with 1.25 cu ft per sub (using total power for two subs: 500 watts)...which is very much like the rolloff in a vented enclosure.

And it looks like with three subs you would still have to tame the power level in that 4.6 cu ft box to keep from bottoming out, like to about 600 watts.  Three subs looks like your better way to go after all as long as your amplifier doesn't overpower at a 1 ohm load.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic