icon

high output alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2007 at 2:53 AM / IP Logged  

hey  im looking for a high output alternator for my  1986 cadillac deville sedan 4.lL 4100 engine and i was told the stinger sell them but between 500-600 dollars and i just got a qoute from http://www.4alterstart.com/ for the following:

200 amp is $279.99 or 250amp $349.99 plus $22.00 S&H lower 48 states.

are these alternators worht spending on or they just blow up or fry. do you think i should just go with stinger instead. my 3 amps are  pushing 1600 rms 200 rms and 200 rms. your opinoion would be a great help.

1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2007 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
I had reasonably good luck with some of them, I've installed several on Civics and Accords, but mine, when it finally DID die, their customer service sucked azz. Not to mention the fact, that they SWORE to me that it was a drop-in replacement... It wasn't - I had to bodge some brackets. I called several times to confirm that it was, (during the installation, of course) again they said "Yep..." Then when it died, they said I "mis-applied" it, because it wasn't for that car, so there was no warranty.
It did seem to have decent power for the money, but I only need to get bit hard once to start bashing! high output alternator -- posted image.
Overall, though, I have learned that it is better to spend the money up front - it'll save you in the long run.
Another option, HOAlternators. Expensive, but built that way. They actually get YOUR alternator from a supplier, gut it, and rewind it, (my thicker stator was re-wound with 12gauge wire, the OEM is 16gauge, possibly smaller high output alternator -- posted image. ) so it is an EXACT, and real drop-in replacement. Ask for Philip at extension 126. Nice guy, and quite knowledgeable, too... I like the warranty on these alternators, as well: 1 year unlimited and unconditional, lifetime rebuilds after the first year for (around) $50.00 plus freight. Stinger offers 90 days, and nothing more (I believe), and it has to be installed by your Stinger dealer to get that, even...
Here's your alternator...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2007 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
The alternator I got from alterstart for my Supra never did work right. I even had them to send me a second one and no luck with it. And I had to go through lots of aggravation dealing with them. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.
'85 Toy
ExitVector 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2007 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

I bought a alternator from AlterStart, but I didn't end up putting it in since I sold the car and upgraded.  From everything I hear, they are junk.  Nice waste of $300.

Thanks haemphyst, I just requested a quote from HOAlternators.  I have an '04 Acura TL and up until now, I haven't been able to find a high-output for it.

I'll follow-up if I get the quote.

still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2007 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't buy from them I got a qoute from them so I don't waste the money so I'm going to go with stinger thanks all for your help
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2007 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
So, you're just gonna totally disregard the recommendations for the HOAlternator? With a better warranty than Stinger, I'd at least CALL them...
ExitVector, it'll be about $650.00, that's what mine was for my '01 Civic.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
throwback2332 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2007 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  
First why do you need a new alternator???   1600rms+ 200rms+ 200rms= 2000rms and assuming 1600rms is your sub amp the other 2 pull very little current.
If it's not custom, then it's not you.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2007 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
i give them a call . for example when my radio is turned up my electronic devices blink like my headlights my tvs and my power locks dont work unless i lower my volume also if i have my radio turned up loudly and turn off my car its a struggle to get it to come back on so i usally lower it 15 minutes or so so the gm alternator can power my batt up . any suggestions on that
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
haemphyst 
Posted: September 21, 2007 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
throwback2332 wrote:
First why do you need a new alternator???   1600rms+ 200rms+ 200rms= 2000rms and assuming 1600rms is your sub amp the other 2 pull very little current.
high output alternator -- posted image. What the hell kind of question is that? I'd recommend upgrading the alternator ANYTIME you put even a moderate-sized system in a car. And what difference does it make what the amps are rated? Do the "smaller" ones need current any less than the sub amp?
Most cars come from the factory with the alternator BARELY oversized for the devices in the car that it already has to power, this means that the manufacturer wasn't PLANNING on any new accessories being added, especially a high current device like an amplifier.
Let's say you have a 105A alternator, typical for many GM products. At (about) 80A of continuous designed load, this only leaves 25A of additional capacity for the alternator to produce.
25A * 14.4V = 360W of additional capacity.
360W * 80% efficiency = 288W of Class D amplification
This means that, for an OEM alternator, as supplied from the manufacturer, and in the case of an alternator as large as 105A, (MUCH smaller in many cases - my 2001 Civic came with a 55A!)you would only be able to put a 288W amplifier in, as an additional accessory load, WITHOUT overloading the alternator.
He has 2000. Do the math. If they were all 100W amplifiers, (let alone a 1600, and a pair of 200's) he'd be overloading right now. The 200's by themselves should have an alternator upgrade.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2007 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst is telling the truth when i had one of my 200 watt amps i had a little blinking but no problem starting . but today when i parked my car i had lowerded my bass so my alternator can have a chance to recharge my battery so when i turned off my car and tried to restart my car it wouldnt start for nothing and i guess the load to start it was too much... i unplugged my amps main power wire from the battery and tried to start it again. it started with no problem. haemphyst can you help me with this issue should i upplug my amps before i start it till i get my new alternator  to save the life on it. also i had the big 3 installed before i added the 1800watts of extra power
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic