icon

boss audio good or bad

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jl.w7 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
i was wondering if anyone has heard anything about boss audio head units. I was interested in purchasing one with a built in 4" dvd screen. i just want to  know if its worth it. $165
MECP Certified
(2)Infinity 3.5" 3012CF
(2)Infinity 6x9 9612I
(1)Sony CDXGT710
(2)MTX TC510 and,
A load of dynamat!
1982 Chevy Cavalier
zacdavis 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
Well, you already know Boss doesnt make high quality products, but.....(sigh).....for the money....an in dash DVD player wit a 4" screen, for 160 bucks, yeah, not a bad deal.
Their HU quality isnt much better than SPL, Legacy, ACT, PowerAcoustik, ect. I've sold a few of these screens and 50% of them end up in service for some various warranty issue.
So make sure you have a warranty just in case.
Hopefully your not entirely concerned with the amplifier's performance. They produce like 12 watts per channel, the mono sub out isnt variable either, nor does it offer any hpf or lpf filters. To play a disc the loading time takes forever.
But again if your looking for an average replacement HU that will play a movie, this is a good deal.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
Bad... B-o-s-s spells bad!
Swap-o-rama specials, with poor quality control, wildly overrated claims of power output, and overall cheezy specifications.
I'd avoid it, $165.00 is STILL $165.00. That's about half the money of a respected manufacturers product. "Half saved", you say... I say "How much is my time worth?" If I get paid $75.00 an hour for programming (which I do...) All I have to do is have it go bad once, and my R&R time will EAT THE DIFFERENCE, and I'm sure I'd have to R&R ir more than once. I figure it that way, because if I am busy R&R'ing a deck, I can't be programming...
You ALWAYS figure what your time is worth, when considering a purchase, as your time is required, whether you have to take time off to get it to an installer, or you do it yourself... If you're getting something installed, it is COSTING you, because you can't be MAKING any money.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
it's trash... it ranks up there with Pyramid and Power Akoustic....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
CapSS92 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 4:30 AM / IP Logged  
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do but he's right. It's still $160 you will be throwing away eventually.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
Steer clear, my old boss thought it would be a good idea to sell that stuff to those dumb kids that just want bling and didn't care about performance, well long story short, in about 20 units we ordered, 12 went back for service before they were even installed.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
jl.w7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
thx i will be adding an external amp for my speakers anyway so...... i was only really looking for the DVD player option  
MECP Certified
(2)Infinity 3.5" 3012CF
(2)Infinity 6x9 9612I
(1)Sony CDXGT710
(2)MTX TC510 and,
A load of dynamat!
1982 Chevy Cavalier
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
jl.w7 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
why not? The DVD players crap? thats all i want it for.
MECP Certified
(2)Infinity 3.5" 3012CF
(2)Infinity 6x9 9612I
(1)Sony CDXGT710
(2)MTX TC510 and,
A load of dynamat!
1982 Chevy Cavalier
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

jl.w7 wrote:
why not? The DVD players crap?

Yes it is.  Look, you're gonna do what you want to do but I cannot recomend anything from Boss.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic