icon

07 dodge dakota, alarm/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
benojeda 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

ok I have a dodge dakota 2007 slt crew cab V6. And I'am installing a car alarm with remote start and i've never installed one that needed  modules before. So yes i've brought the combo xk532 from xpresskit, which as you know will do the door locks and key. But i have no idea how to hook it up. Does it go to the car alarm or to dakota factory alarm- the information that came with the xk532 tells me the basics... Is the rcs (remote control system ) my factory system (if so were is the rcs)or does it talk about the hooking it up to the aftermarket car alarm. Also do i need resistors ok thats a st&*& Question. Sorry about. Look i need help really.  please can someone give me any advise      any advise will be great thanks

life is good when you know everything so i need alot of everything to make life good :)
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
If you look at the wiring diagram it shows exactly what needs to go where. The XK532 accepts the analog outputs from the security system/remote start and converts those analog pulses to information that is transmitted to the vehicle via the OBDII connection. The vehicle then uses this information to perform a function like arm/disarm lock/unlock etc.
That 07 Dakota also utilizes Chrysler's newer ignition switch scheme, which can be troublesome for the D-I-Y installer. It needs to see specific resistances during each phase of starting and without an interface requires cutting the PURPLE / brown wire. Dealerships in my area will void a factory warranty when any wire is cut in the factory harnesses. I do not want to discourage anyone from doing their own work but keep in mind that you can cause serious damage to your vehicle if you install these devices improperly. It may be worth paying a professional to do the job if you are not comfortable with how the device works. The labor it would cost to have it installed correctly is substantially less than what the dealership would charge to repair the vehicle if damaged.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

The warranty is void if not installed by a professional in which is recognized by an installation back ground and quality workmanship. This is how it pans out in my area. Judging thats its an 07 its would be wise to have it professionaly installed, imo. 

Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2007 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

A dealership CANNOT void a warranty on a vehicle.  A vehicles warranty can ONLY be voided by the MANUFACTURER of the vehicle.   If you were a Viper dealer, can YOU void a customers Viper warranty (for any reason)?  No.  Only DEI can void the warranty.  Same is true with an automobile.

And then, ONLY THAT part of the vehicles warrantys (say..electrical),  would be voided.  NOT the entire vehicle warranty (emissions, drive train etc).

As a professional, I dont let dealers walk all over me and threaten my livelyhood.  I tell a customer... have them put that in writing.  And if they wont, I tell them that, THAT dealer is dishonest and deceptive, and will most likely  continue with those procedures after they buy the vehicle.  Such as performing unneeded worked, and lying about other services, and charging them for unecessary work.

I have confronted 2 dealerships in my area and threated them with a lawsuit if they continue to make any unsubstansiated  "FALSE CLAIMS" regarding my workmanship.  I also make them responsible for anything their salespeole say regarding any installed aftermarket electronics. 

I was disgusted with the number of LONGTIME eldery Buick customers comming in and telling me the salesmen were telling me it  would void their warranty.  And the poor 80 y/o customer is afraid to have it reinstalled.  Just not right, at any age.  So I put my foot down.  And it actually helped my business.

xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2007 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

If the product is not installed by a professional they can and will void the warranty when its the dealer that alerted the manufacture of the installation that was not done by a professional so be it. You are correct that the dealer themselves doesn't have the authority but I wonder who contacts the manufature, hmm? Also understand that the electrical system directly and in-directly affects the majority of the vehicle. So it will be at the manufactures discretion on what remains under factory warranty. And same goes for any product we sell or install if tampered with by the customer I guarantee I will do everything in my power to make sure the warranty is voided. Everybody is an installer until doodie goes wrong. Please understand that a very good portion of people that post on here are diy-er's trying to save a buck and some have very limited knowledge and skill set to work on todays sensitive vehicles so make sure everything you post is as accurate as possible. 

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 27, 2007 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Mark, I really was not trying to start a dealership bashing session here. I was just trying to let benojeda know what he/she may be up against. Everyone in the industry knows how much a PITA it can be to have to try and tell a customer that the representative at the dealer is just wrong. You are absolutely correct too, if you go to the dealer and speak with the technician directly most times you will find the tech just does not understand the aftermarket product and blames it for whatever fault the vehicle may have.
Dealers in my area will indeed notify the manufacturer to inform them that they feel the warranty should be voided. And, yes it should be only for the electrical portion of the warranty. Most people in the business are aware of the Magnussum-Moss warranty law. But most consumers go by what the dealership tells them. In our area if you do an install that requires cutting the factory harness, some dealers interpret this as a warranty-voidable action and contact the manufacturer to do so.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
benojeda 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2007 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the post but the my question has still haven't been answered if i use the xk532 will that elimate me using the resistors
life is good when you know everything so i need alot of everything to make life good :)
xtremej 
Posted: September 28, 2007 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
Your last question was for advice, judging by your questions: take it to a pro. The description of the xk532 clearly states what it does, everything.
benojeda 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2007 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

my 07 dodge dakota to hook up the parking lights from the alarm to the truck 

(wire) parklights negative                      (color) Pink/red                             (location)  At light switch {1.2 ohms} *          (POL.) Resistor

i need to open wire with a relay

I need a diagram on how to open it up with a relay

please help

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2007 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
If light output from alarm is pos. then light output to 86, ground to 85 cut parking lights, one side to 30, other side to 87a, ignore 87. If light output from alarm is neg., then light output to 85, 12v+ permanent to 86, 30 and 87a the same as above.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic