icon

i broke my speaker boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 1986 cadillac deville sedan and i have 4 aw1251se(audiobahn 12" woofers) and 1 a2200hct (audiobahn amp). two of the subwoofers were in a sealed box the measured 15H x 30W and 15D and the other two were in two seperate boxes that measured 14H x 14w x 9D  that are also sealed and i had them wired at one ohm to this amp and i broke tqo out of three.  the bigger box is cracked in the middle of the box how it broke i dont know. so any one have a suggestion on how i should design a stronger box. i used 3?4 mdf adn i was thinking of either using something bigger or doubleing the walls and the front . there is no damage to the subs or amp so any help would help thanks. 
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
This is very strange, usually the Audiobahn crap breaks first. I doubt those speakers and that amp cracked your box. It has got to be construction.
Did you use internal bracing? Was the area under the box flat? Was everything screwed and glued? How much space between the edge of the basket and the side of the box? do you have any picts?
3/4 MDF can take some serious compression. Doubling the mounting panel might help or fiberglass.
jl.w7 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
ya I dont see how audiobahns could of cracked 3/4 MDF. A jlw7 maybe but .......... the MDF mustve been weak in that spot.
MECP Certified
(2)Infinity 3.5" 3012CF
(2)Infinity 6x9 9612I
(1)Sony CDXGT710
(2)MTX TC510 and,
A load of dynamat!
1982 Chevy Cavalier
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
I had a 3/4 mdf box with 2 tens in it in my car when we were hit head on by a drunk driver at a combined speed of 100 mph... no damage to the box. The car on the other hand didn't survive.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like maybe it was made from particle board, not MDF.  Or something got dropped on the enclosures.  Or the guy's just a troll trying to start a flame war about Audiobahn.  i broke my speaker boxes -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

im sick right now but i cannot help but laugh at this thread. yes i could see if the mdf was weak and someone was jumping up and down on it for it to break. but i HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt any audiobahn could even cause strain on 3/4 inch mdf. come on its audiobahn........

alright point made. make a new box still_walkin

two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Look at his cardomain picsi broke my speaker boxes -- posted image. in his profile.
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah the boxes were srecewed glued and sealed and they were on a flat surface. I also used mdf. I also didn't drop them so I don't know. I thought about doubleing the face in the front where it broke. I have taken it out due to the fact I haven't built a new one . But the box is split in the center face of the box.. So I don't kno I've been bulding boxes for quite some time and I never broke a box.
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
I just have to ask....why full range speakers in the trunk on the lid facing down? Is it for looks? Or do you drive down Main St. With the trunk open? The whole interior kinda looks like 8th grade wood shop meets 1st grade erector set. Cloth over front speakers? Definitely needed to be addressed with something better then that. Overkill on the monitors which 2 are secured to the headrest by way of the erector set. I don't have any pics of my custom jobs but I can assure you they looked a lot cleaner then that.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 27, 2007 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
If the wood cracked from the subs...its poor construction.
I have a 1 cu ft sealed box that is held together only with glue...its help up for almost 3 years now...yeah it was glued and screwed...but then i removed all of the screws to see how strong the glue is...strong as hell to say.
Yeah and its ELMERS WHITE SCHOOL GLUE
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic