icon

remote start wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
andym1999 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2007 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

Hi... just wondering if I am able to cut off the extra wires on my wire harnesses that are not needed.

Thanks

techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2007 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
On the harness on the remote start you can cut the wires you don't need but make sure they are cut at slightly different lengths so they don't happen to cause a problem by touching later, and I usually wrap with tape to keep neat. Eliminating unused wires will make it easier to keep track of what you have left to connect. I solder all my connections so they don't have any chance of coming apart or it having a loose connection that will cause arcing inside the module. T-taps stink so I don't use them.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2007 at 4:46 AM / IP Logged  
Techman is spot on, I pre-prepare on bench if I can, solder and insulate (heat shrink) install Siren, extra switches if necc. external sensors antenna all borught back to place of (stealthfully) mounting CPU then I have to rejoin the ones I've cut off by error so the other practice is to discreetly bundle unused wires!
andym1999 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2007 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 30, 2007 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Also, and especially if this is the only unit you have..........that is, if you're not a retailer with another shelf full of the same kind of remote starter.........it's a good idea to leave a couple of inches of wire, so if later on you need/decide to connect that wire to the car, you can still splice on an extension.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2007 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Chris is exactly right, how often had I had to reinstall my own alarms in another vehicle OR the customer has come back for more so why did I cut that aux wire too short!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic