icon

making sealed box ported

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
i have a friend with a chevy silverado exteded cab and he bought 2 L5s. he got a dual sub box to go under the seat. for L5's its pretty weak. we were wondering if adding a port would make it better. i've always heard ported is better than sealed. would i need to make the port built to spec to the kicker manual or would i need to make it different since the sealed airspace is smaller than the recommended ported space. i'm just looking for opinions or other ideas...thanks alot
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
extacy 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2007 at 4:22 AM / IP Logged  

First check if there is anything else making the subs sound weak. Whether the sealed box is not leaked anywhere and you are pumping enough power to the subwoofers.

I recently made a small sealed box for a friends single 12" Kicker, wasnt weak at all. Was pumping out in excess of 600watt RMS to it though ... 800ish I guess.

I personally would not do that to any sealed box, unless that box is very large to begin with.

tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2007 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

I used to have a box like that under my old z71 ext cab.... theres not enough air space in that box to port for both subs... make sure that sub is sealed good, and go from there... not a whole lot of options with those boxes...

...don't crush the weasel...
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
make sure both subs are wired with the correct polarity or you will have phase canceling due to one sub going up and the other going down and those sound waves will cancel each other out and make the subs power seem very low.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic