icon

settings on digital alpine amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wildcatjay 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
I have an mrd-m501 digital amp and 2x type r alpine 12 in subwoofers in a qlogic banpass box, I am knowledgeable on the conventional amp however this amp has many many digital settings is anyone familiar with this set up? if so what should my setings be at? I have the mono amp ran into 2x dual voice coil alpine subs
OK So Im new at this work with me
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
What is the preamp output voltage of your head unit.
There is no such thing as free installation!
wildcatjay 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
Im not sure its a sony explode 52x4  but I'm not sure what the out put range is, it has an  amp adjustment  but it dosent specify the levels of adjustment jsut low to high. how do I find out?
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Go on Sony's websight and punch in the model #.
wildcatjay 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

Im sorry for the huge thread but if i expect help i should post all possible info right?

head unit:

Product Features
  • Detachable front panel CD player with bright blue/white screen, red control buttons
  • Compatible with CD-R/RW discs
  • 4-channel amp (17W x 4 channels); subwoofer pre-amp outputs
  • SSIR-EXA tuner with 18 FM and 12 AM presets
  • Includes case for detachable front panel
Technical Details
  • RMS power output: 17 watts
  • Peak output: 52 watts
  • Preamp voltage: 2 volts
  • Preamp outputs: 2
  • AUX input: No
  • Display color: Blue/white
  • Sound processing: EQ3
  • Wireless remote: No
  • Wired remote: No
  • Changer control: No
  • Detachable face: Yes
  • Tuner type: SSIR-EX
  • Presets: 18 FM, 12 AM
  • Seek/Scan: Seek
  • Satellite Radio ready: No
  • Anti-Shock memory: No
  • CD text: No
  • CD-R/RW playback: Yes
  • MP3 playback: No
  • WMA playback: No
  • Warranty: 1 year
  • What's in the box: Main unit, parts for installation and connection, front panel case
amp:

Features

Inputs and Outputs Notes
Specifications

Features

V12 AccuClass-D Mono Amplifier: The V12 AccuClass-D amplifier design allows it to deliver massive power without correspondingly huge current draw. This amplifier's true digital design keeps the signal purer and makes the amp extremely efficient. V12 AccuClass-D amps use digital signal processing to provide time correction and other sophisticated controls, all controlled through the Alpine Digital Control Center located under the top-mounted access panel.

Hood: The amplifier has a hinged brushed aluminum hood that flips up to reveal the control panel and LCD display. The control panel consists of six buttons: Display, Mode (up), Mode (down), Enter, <, and >. These buttons are used to navigate the menu that includes all the adjustments on the amp (input level, crossover, EQ, time correction, phase, etc). When closed, the LCD display is visible through the smoked plastic window. Two Allen-head screws (supplied) secure the hood in the closed position.

Display Control: The MRD-M501 features a 5-digit information display that allows you to check the operational status of the amplifier. By pressing the Display button, you can cycle through the following readouts: Voltage (supply), Current (draw), Internal Temperature (Fahrenheit), and Internal Temperature (Celsius).

Terminal Cover: The amplifier is equipped with a silver brushed aluminum terminal cover that can be attached to the front panel to improve appearance after the amplifier has been installed. The terminal cover hides power, signal and speaker wires, and secures to the amplifier via two Allen-head screws (supplied).

Verification Certificate: The amplifier comes with a certificate that informs you of the total RMS output of the particular amplifier. It lists the model number, serial number, test date, and the test conditions (voltage, impedance).

Bass Engine DSP: The MRD-M501 uses digital signal processing to offer several sophisticated Bass Engine controls without signal loss or sound degradation. The Bass Engine features include:

• Digital Time Correction: Time correction allows you to time align this amp with others in the system. This is particularly useful to maximize SPL if there are multiple subs and sub amps. The adjustment range runs from 0-10ms in 0.1ms steps.
  • Digital Parametric Equalizer: A fully adjustable parametric EQ is built into this amp. The center frequency is adjustable from 30 to 160Hz in 1/12 octave steps. The Q value of the EQ curve is selectable between 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. The EQ level is adjustable from -12dB to +12dB in 1dB steps.
  • Built-in Variable Crossover: The built-in low-pass crossover is adjustable from 30 to 200Hz in 1/12 octave steps with a selectable slope of 12dB/octave or 24dB/octave.
  • Subsonic Filter: The subsonic filter is used to filter out low frequencies that you cannot hear but can "rob" power from the amplifier. The crossover point is variable between 15Hz and 50Hz in 5Hz steps, and can be switched on or off.
  • Bass Compensation: The Bass Compensation circuit is used to enhance low-end bass definition. When engaged, the Bass Compensation circuit provides bass with sharp auditory impact, even with a small diameter woofer. Once turned on, you can select the Bass Compensation level that best suits your desired results: Bass Comp 1, Bass Comp 2 or Bass Comp 3.
  • Phase Control: The phase is selectable between 0 and 180 degrees.
  • Gain Factor: Gain Factor is a unique and patent-pending digital processing technology that allows more audible power to be delivered even when pushing the amplifier to its limit. Unlike all analog compensation techniques, Gain Factor interpolates and modifies the signal at the individual digital data level, enhancing smaller signals more and larger signals less without driving the amplifier into hard clipping. The result is more clean power, sooner on the volume knob. You can select a gain factor of 0dB, +6dB or +9dB.

Multi-Amp Installation: Because the above Bass Engine adjustments are all digital and discrete, two of these amplifiers can be used to power the two voice coils of a DVC woofer. Note: Technically this is true of any amp, but with analog adjustments an oscilloscope is needed to ensure the outputs are identical.

Amplifier ID: Alpine's RUX-4280 Remote Amplifier Control Center (RACC) will control up to eight V12 AccuClass-D amplifiers. For this reason each amp needs its own ID when more than one amp and the RACC are used.

Optional Remote Level Control: This amplifier's level can be controlled remotely with the optional RUX-4180 Subwoofer Level Control. Note: The RUX-4180 can only control one amplifier. For multiple amplifiers, the RUX-4280 Remote Amplifier Control Center should be used.

Turn On Delay: The amp's turn-on time is adjustable from 0 to 2 seconds in 0.2 second steps. This is useful for eliminating the loud "thump" that occurs when multiple amplifiers are turned on simultaneously.

Output Disable Mode: The Output Disable Mode turns off the power output of the amp while leaving the control functions active. This should be used when adjusting the DSP function. Only the power of the DSP circuit is on and in the current saving state. After making adjustments, the output disable mode should be turned off.

Memory: The settings on the amp can be stored in one of two memory slots to make it easy to return to your preferred values.

3-Way Protection Circuitry: This amplifier has a 3-way protection circuitry to guard against accidents and undesired operations. It includes protection for Short circuit, Over-voltage, and Thermal overload. When the amplifier goes into protection mode, the LCD display will show a Error code explaining the cause of the failure.

Inputs and Outputs Notes

Battery (+12 V)/Ground (GND): The Battery and Ground terminals are gold-plated set-screw terminals that will accept up to 4 gauge wire. A 4mm Allen wrench is included to tighten/loosen the set screws.

Remote (turn-on): The remote terminal is combination gold-plated screw terminal that will accept a spade connector up to .35" wide on top of the terminal, or set-screw terminal that will accept up to 10 gauge bare wire into the front of the terminal. A Phillips-head screwdriver (not supplied) is required to tighten/loosen the set screw.

Speaker Output: The speaker terminals are gold-plated set-screw terminals that will accept up to 8 gauge wire. A 2.5mm Allen wrench is included to tighten/loosen the set screw.

RCA Input/Output: The amplifier includes gold-plated RCA line input jacks (there is no speaker-level input) and gold-plated RCA pre-out jacks.

Controller: The amp has a 7-pin female DIN jack for connection to the RUX-4280 Remote Amplifier Control Center (RACC) or the RUX-4180 Subwoofer Level Control.

Specifications

CEA-2006 Compliance: The specifications given by Alpine for the MRD-M501 amplifier comply with the new CEA-2006 Amplifier Power Standard from the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.

RMS Power Rating (measured at 14.4V):

• Into a 4-Ohm Load: 275 watts x 1
  • Into a 2-Ohm Load: 550 watts x 1

RMS Power Rating (measured at 12.0V):

• Into a 4-Ohm Load: 225 watts x 1
  • Into a 2-Ohm Load: 425 watts x 1

Note: Minimum impedance is 2 Ohms.

and they are 2 x type r alpine 12' subwoofers i'll have to pull them out of the banpass box to find the model number I'll list those specs asap.

I am not sure what settings are right for the amp

thank you for your time

wildcatjay 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

ok I found specs on the subs...  and have another question which should i use banpass or sealed for best quality sound in an 88 ford thunderbird trunk...

sub specs as follows:

Product MPN
MPN swr-1241d
Key Features
Car Speaker Type   settings on digital alpine amp? -- posted image.
Component
Elements   settings on digital alpine amp? -- posted image.
1-Way
Car Speaker Function   settings on digital alpine amp? -- posted image.
Subwoofer
Size 12.00"
Nominal Power Handling   settings on digital alpine amp? -- posted image.
300 Watt RMS
Powered   settings on digital alpine amp? -- posted image.
Non-Powered
Technical Features
Peak Power Handling 1000 Watt
Frequency Response 24 Hz - 2 kHz
Sensitivity 87 dB
Impedance 4 ohm (Dual Coil)
Components
Woofer Material   settings on digital alpine amp? -- posted image.
Composite
Surround Material   settings on digital alpine amp? -- posted image.
Santroprene
Mounting
Enclosure   settings on digital alpine amp? -- posted image.
Non-Enclosed
Top Mounting Depth 6.81 In.
Bottom Mounting Depth 7.50 In.
Mounting Diameter / Length 10.81 In.
Miscellaneous
Product ID 20243827

tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

You have 2 volt pre outs. Here ya go.

Input level switch on amp 1V-2.0V

Input mode 1+2

Level 2.0v

Gain 0db

Lp On

Freq. 80hz

Slope 24db

Subsonic On

Subsonic freq. 20hz

P Eq  On

P EQ Freq. 60hz.

Q Width 3

P Eq Level -3db

Bass comp On

Level Comp 1

Time Corrct Off

Phase 0

Let me know how it sounds and whether it needs to be tweaked. This should be a good place to start.

Bass

tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
I always liked these subs in a sealed enclosure. Go to Alpines web sight to see specs. You have dual 4 ohm coils which is not the optimum set up for this amp. You need to series/parralell wire these two subs. Do a search on this sight to find out how.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2007 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Volt
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic