icon

escalade 2002, led conversion issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bruce1939 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2007 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

Issues related to adding LED bulbs to turn and stop signals.

1. Added LED to rear turn and stop bulbs, 2 bulbs each side

2. Also added LED to rear side marker lights, which also flash with turn signal.

3. Experienced “fast flash”, added load resistor to turn bulbs

4. Fast flash went away.

Seems all good, right!

Seemed to work, except for slight glow of turn signal dash arrows when headlights are on.

Second problem, maybe unrelated, because it occurred first, but wait and see.

When headlights come on either from manual switch or dusk sensor, dash lights go off, dash, radio, info center, all other interior lights on as normal.

Now a week after replacing the stop and tail bulbs with LED, the cruise control also quits working when head lights come on!

Let me go further, attempted replacement of front turn signal, which is also a running light when the headlights are on, and the front side marker lights.

Marker light came on OK, but turn would not flash, and side marker would not come on at all.

Put incandescent back in side marked and it barley glowed.

Went back to incandescent in front until I can get help with this.

Depending on the LED bulb you pick the tail lights really look good and are much brighter than the stock, with no damaging heat.

I also replaced the daytime running lights with bright white LED and they look really great and no damaging heat!

I cannot find the signal flasher and suspect it is part of a larger assembly, or I would replace that with electronic flashed and not use load resistors.

I am now determined to make this work as it is now a do or die challenge, but I need some expert help. I have complete factory wiring diagrams and am an electrical/mechanical engineer, but automotive wiring is really different.

HELP Please! SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT THE STORY NEEDED TO BE TOLD

Bruce

bruce1939 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2007 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  

the real hard one's, no one is going to answer!!!!

Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2007 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

First, put it all back to factory stock and see what problems go away.. establish that everything you're seeing is related to the LED situation. You might be seeing something not related to the work you've done.

I could see an issue with the cruise control and rear brake lights.. As most CC systems do tie into the brake light circuit in some way, modifying the brake light circuit could cause you problems. Not say this is the cause, but just as an example, if the circuit has the brake light switch grounding the negative side of the light circuit, the wire from the bulb to the brake light switch would be at 12v with the brake light switch open (brake off). Now, with an LED bulb, you might not be seeing 12v on that wire under those conditions.

Let us know what you find..

Jim

bruce1939 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2007 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks, put everything back to factory stock, still have no dash lights when the head lights are on.  I’ll check the relay next.  Anything else you can suggest?

Thanks

bruce1939 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2007 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry for that post, use Word so I can check my spelling, anyway put everything back to stock still no dash lights when head lights are on.  Any suggestions?

Thanjks

Bruce

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic