2002 jeep grand cherokee alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joemama1967 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2007 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone,
I hope someone can help me a little here. What I am trying to do is install a Galaxy 2way alarm system with remote start in a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The Jeep has the keyless entry but I am not aware of a factory alarm. The keyfob is the long gray with 3 buttons (lock, unlock and panic).
I am wondering if I can use a 455J databus and the 555C bypass module to simplify the install.
The alarm has negative inputs and outputs. I want to avoid using relays and diodes and other parts that will be a pain.
Here is the wiring diagram for the alarm:
Door Lock--Green Lock output (-) 500mA
Door Lock--Blue Lock output (-) 500mA
GREEN / WHITE--brake input (+) (needs relay?)
BLACK/ gray--tack input
WHITE/ red--Aux 2 output (-) 500mA
BLACK/ white--dome light output (-) 500mA (instructions says that this MUST have a relay)
yellow--ignition input (+) must be connected (needs relay?)
blue / YELLOW--glow plug (won't be using this because it isn't diesel)
blue/white--passenger unlock output (-) 500mA (my guess is that it would go to the 455J)
blue/orange--remote start output (-) 500mA (my guess is for the 555C)
black--ground
red--12V battery input #3
violet--Door trigger input (+) (probably won't use because I think NEG is for Jeep
green--door trigger input (-) (my guess is that it would go to the 455J)
WHITE/ black--hood/trunk input (-) (assume pin switch installed in hood)
orange--armed output (-) 500mA (what would this be used for?)
violet/white--factory alarm disarm output (-) 500mA (I don't think Jeep has factory alarm--will I use this connector?)
WHITE/ violet--Aux 3/factory alarm arm output (-) 500mA (what is this for?)
brown--siren output (+) 3A
gray--aux 1 output (-) 500mA (??)
white--parking light output (+/- with built-in relay) (nice--but doesn't say the amps!!)
BROWN / white--Horn output (-) 500mA (if I want horn, probably relay needed)
----
6 pin connector:
violet--starter output
yellow--ignition 1 output
orange--accessory output
brown--ignition 2 output
red--12V battery input #1
red--12V battery input #2
-------------
LED Port
Valet Switch Port
--------------
Are there any resistors needed anywhere along the line?
I don't have a wiring diagram for the 455J or 555C because I haven't purchased them yet--don't want to waste money if it isn't going to work.
Any input is appreciated!
Thanks,
joemama1967 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2007 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
More info: It appears that I can use a XK531 module. Had anyone used one of these for an alarm install?
Thanks,
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 04, 2007 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think the Laredos got the factory alarm. There's a small blank panel on top of the dash, at the base of the windshield, more toward the driver's side.......that's where the factory alarm LED would be if you had one. (Also a good place for your aftermarket LED.)
I believe the XK531 is a complete remote starter, with a bypass module along with it....more than what you need since you already have the remote start.
bypasskits.com I believe does make a single module that'll do the transponder and the locks, or at least they used to. I can't remember the part number.
As far as your other questions.....
No relay on the brake input. That's a straight connection, and should be illustrated in the installation manual.
dome light output: Needs a relay, yes. But the 455J will already turn on the domelight when you unlock the doors (as long as the engine is off).
So you don't really need this too much, unless you need the domelight to also come on during unlock, even when the car is remote started.
Ignition input doesn't need a relay either.
negative door trigger input goes to the underdash courtesy light. I don't think the 455J offers its own door trigger output.
armed output: makes a ground whenever the alarm is armed. This is for your starter kill relay.
Factory alarm arm, factory alarm disarm outputs: Not needed. Even if you did have a factory alarm, the 455J would take care of it.
Horn connection does not require a relay.
The only place you might need a resistor would be for the parking lights. There are two options: 1, use a resistor, and connect to the car's factory parking light wire at the switch........or 2, tap into the parking light relay at the fuse box, which is a straight negative trigger...........if you you use the search feature here you should be able to find more information.
In any event, don't use the car's positive parking light wire. It can be found in the car, but if you apply power to it, the car can be damaged.
joemama1967 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2007 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info.
quote: "bypasskits.com I believe does make a single module that'll do the transponder and the locks, or at least they used to. I can't remember the part number."
Yep, they do, it's the XK531 and they even provide downloads for flashing the unit :)
http://www.bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=XK531
desc: XK531 Programmable Combo Door Lock & Alarm Control Interface w/integrated 1st gen. (97-04)Sentry Key RF Transponder Bypass. XK531 preloaded with upgradeable firmware (JDL) for 99-04 Jeep Cherokee. Primary control functions incl.: door locks, factory alarm, trunk/hatch release, door pin status output(-) & 2nd starter activation. Transponder chip included to bypass via RF induction using loop antenna. *Programmable interface control firmwares available for all Chrylser, Dodge & Jeep model years.
Thanks for the rest of the info it is a great help. I don't think I need dome light if the 4 doors and tailgate are sensored. I can always do a pin switch for the liftgate.
As for the parking lights, I have learned from another source: "The parking lights are negative trigger thru a 1300 ohm resistor. There is a rest resistance on the wire so MUST use a relay to isolate away from the switch."
If anyone has any other input, it would be appreciated. Thanks again Chris for your input--it has helped a lot. :)
joemama1967 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
I am using a Galaxy alarm with a XK531 to monitor the doors and lock/unlock them. This unit is interfaced with the OBDii. I am wondering if anyone has used any type of connection to the OBDii to roll up the windows. I am not familiar with the capabilities of the OBD2.
The vehicle is a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Thanks,
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
I have never heard of that connection to roll windows. In Jeep it is for door locks from what I know. You would need a separate module for windows. The DEI 529T unit will roll up windows with armed output and the 530T will roll up with armed out and down with an aux channel to vent vehicle.
joemama1967 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
I figured since the XK531 can send a data signal to the Jeep to lock the doors, that there might be something that can send a signal through the OBD2 to roll up the windows. I have seen the modules that will do it but thought there might be a "data" command that can be sent.
Thanks
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
it shows right in the manual you can program window roll up.
it takes a second lock pulse
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
joemama1967 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
I see that now in the XK531 Optional Programming section. I will try that later. Can't believe I missed that.
Thanks for your help :)
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
you are welcome.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic