icon

subwoofer setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2007 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  
I have four 12" audiobahn aw1251se and I was wonderinf if I can flip them to show the back of the woofers in my setup. I know there not free air subwoofers but my trunk is completly sealed. Do you think this can be acheived with out messing up the subwoofers
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2007 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, but if the box is the right amount of airspace as they are now, it will be a little more airspace with them in that configuration. Whether or not it'll be enough to make a difference in the way they perform, I don't know.
'85 Toy
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2007 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
as long as there is enough room for the surround not to get bound up it'll work.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
what do you mean by surround. are you pertaining to the distance between each sub. also does the cubic space have to been the same as a regular box when they are flip magnet side  out.
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
The "surround" is the foam or rubber that surrounds the cone area of the sub. You'll have to make sure it won't touch the box when you flip it to mount it on the outside of the box. It'll have to be able to move freely. All I'm saying about the airspace is if the box was calculated right for the sub that is in it now, with the sub sitting in the box, when you flip it to the outside of the box you will have more airspace. By that, you will have the space that the sub was taking up will be added now. Usually it won't make that big of a difference, but it can in some cases. Also remember to reverse the polarity on the connections when you flip them.
'85 Toy
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
the airspace gained from inverse mounting is negligible and doesn't really make a noticeable difference
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2007 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
ok thanks for the help basically you mean on the polarites make sure my positive and negitives match.
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 07, 2007 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
still_walkin wrote:
ok thanks for the help basically you mean on the polarites make sure my positive and negitives match.
saying they match is too general...basically just make sure the woofers are all in phase with each other
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 07, 2007 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

Best thing to do when you are inverting ALL your subs:  leave the wiring on the subs exactly as it is.  That is, of course, assuming that you already have the subs wired according to proper diagram.  You still should switch polarity because you're turning the subs around, but that can most easily be accomplished by either (a) switching the amplifier's 180 switch to the other position, or (if its a case where the amp doesn't provide a 180 switch) (b) switching the pos and neg wires at the amp terminals.

It is only when you are inverting SOME of your subs that you need to reverse individual sub wiring on the inverted ones.

Simpler, less work, less chance of foul-up.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2007 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
i have them wire in a 1ohm since they they are 4ohm dvc. so changing the poalrity on the subs making postive negaitve has a effect on them when reversing the ?
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic