icon

kicker vs. mtx

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wildcatjay 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

I get 75% discount on all kicker, and mtx audio.

does anyone have any specific advise on which brand to go with and/or  exactly which subs/amps to go with ?

OK So Im new at this work with me
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
If you want it to go loud they are about the same. If you want it to sound good they are both junk.
There is no such thing as free installation!
theterminator 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2007 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
i agree.Kicker and mtx both garbage. Your just paying for the name. So much better out there for the same amount of money. I would suggest a JL or TC sounds subs.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2007 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
I don't necessarily feel that kicker or MTX are garbage, they just fill a niche in the car audio world that may not be to every persons liking.
They are certainly better than any flea market brand like pyle, a-bomb, and the like. They just aren't geared for the discerning audiophile.
If you are someone who enjoys loud bass heavy music (and I have heard some good stuff from the both), then these are the brands to go with. Again this is user preference. You must be honest with your self and decide what it is you want out of a system.
With big discount like that, I would use it to my advantage.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 07, 2007 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

wildcatjay wrote:
  I get 75% discount on all kicker, and mtx audio.  does anyone have any specific advise on which brand to go with and/or  exactly which subs/amps to go with ?

If you get such a discount, isn't it reasonable to assume that you are in a position to try out just about every model available of each?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2007 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  

have to agree with stevdart on that one....

but if you really want an opinion...having used and/or used both brands i personally like MTX out of the two brands (and let me stress just out of those two brands). Sub wise i like the MTX far more then Kicker i have had nothing but bad experience with kicker, unless your going for SPL (if thats the case there are people on here to help you with that) As far as the amps i dont have alot of experience with either company. and door speakers/comps i have no experience with Kicker (i dont know a single person running their door speakers in my area....hmmmm....)but mtx i used to like thier stuff ALOT for the price point it was at comparing it to the other companys i used to sell.

eiher way at that price point get one company, and if you dont like them sell it and get the other...i miss working for a shop...used to be able to buy stuff, run it for a while, change my mind sell the stuff and either break even or on top and then get new stuff. Always fun getting new stuff. Just takes time! ;)

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2007 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

also lets remember that Kicker did win world finals in SQ

;)

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2007 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
its all in the box if you want sq or spl. you can have the best sub in the world and in a bad box it will sound like poo. for speakers my friend is running kicker ks's i believe and they get loud but sould like crap, really crisp clangy highs, i like soft dome tweeters IMO they sound better.  are those the only two brands you guys sell at ur shop lol?
two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2007 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
jvillefinest wrote:

;)

Kicker did win the DTS challenge using the 12 inch L7's    Most people I talk to have not experimented with boxes.   Are they still over zelous in the lower range, yes.     
Has anyone here besides me tried the new kicker CVX?   I would bet it would change alot of minds.
I love every bit of my kicker equipment, if its for shows, or for daily driving.    
Now as far as Kicker vs MTX.    For the price on some of the MTX subs like the 9500's I wouldnt be able to justify spending that kind of money, for what I have heard out of them.   And as far as amps.   Hmmmmm   I think someone is starting to push numbers a little high.   I know my Kicker amps I have tested have always outdone the rated power, or came really really close in a real world application.   As far as the MTX amps, I jus wasnt impressed, with this go around of designs.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2007 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
jvillefinest wrote:
What he MEANT to say was: lets also remember that Kicker did buy world finals in SQ
ROFL!
Basically, all I am saying is that I am still just a bit dubious of the "win". As many Kicker systems as I have actually heard, I've never heard one actually sound "good". The "Kicker Signature" to me is overblown, bass-heavy, wooly, peaky, and SPL driven... But that's just me. (Or is it?)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic