icon

w7 power problem?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thakidp 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
okay i have a 10w7 in a custom made box just for it and running off a jl 500/1 with a 1.2 farad tsunami cap my question is it sounds good and all but i think it can hit much harder but im not sure what all the advanced settings on the amp mean can anyone tell me what would be good settings to set the amp at?
thakidp
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 13, 2007 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
The 10W7's user manual provides suggestions for most of the 500/1's settings.  It also tells you how to set the gain properly.  Here's a link: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/7591.pdf 
thakidp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2007 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 10w7 runnin off a jl 500/1 with a tsunami 1.2 farad cap and a optima red to pbattery and everythings pretty much cool but when i play certain songs and and its supposed to be a really deep note or hard hit of bass the w7 sort of misses the note and then kind of comes in at the end of like its trying to catch up could this be some kind of power supply problem cause sometimes the cap drops down to like 8 or 9 on the readout i also have a lanzar 4 channel amp running off the same cap but im sure it doesnt draw that much power or could i just have some setting wrong on the amplifier?
thakidp
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2007 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like either an amplifier problem, (not happy with the voltage dropping that low), a charging issue (meaning you have to upgrade your alternator, which you should probably do ANYWAY), or an enclosure issue.
I'd lean seriously toward the charging issue, though. The cap, as you are discovering, isn't helping you. You must (as in: you don't have a choice, period.) upgrade your alternator.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 13, 2007 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
drops down to 8 or 9 volts?? I'm surprised that your engine is stalling from the voltage dropping that low...thats way below the battery float voltage...a battery is "dead" at around 10 volts i believe
You seriously need to upgrade your charging system.
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2007 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of vehicle?
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
thakidp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2007 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
its a 94 camry
thakidp
thakidp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2007 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
well not the battery i just put a red top optima back there but if i turn up the settings on my head unit to put the bass way up or on a song that has real deep notes then the voltage output just on the cap fluctuates from id say anywhere from 9-13 the battery voltage always stays around 14 so thats fine so like u said its probably an alternator issue guess ill have to upgrade but i have a 94 camry so its gonna be tough trying to find one
thakidp
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
If you've got the 2.4L 4banger, you've got a 70 or 80 amp factory alt. If you've got the 3.0L, you've got an 80amp alt.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
Did you say "back there?" does that mean that you have multiple batteries off of the factory alternator? If you search for HO alternator you will find many threads, and almost all of them with a suggestion as to where to get one for just about any vehicle.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic