the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Ferrari Engine Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
Choke won't do it... You can try, though. All a choke is, is a wire wrapped around an iron core. The wire has to be of the same gauge or larger than the wire you are inserting into. Use a piece of allthread with washer and nut, both ends. The more iron (or steel) you have in the core, the more inductance you will get for a given wire length.
If it is definitely alternator whine, I'd still suspect some sort of AC on the alternator's output, indicating a bad diode in the bridge. (You'll need an o-scope to detect it if there is any there...) Bob, I'm coming to Paso Robles tomorrow, I can make the extra short little trip with my 'scope if you'd like to give it a shot. (Let me know ASAP, and I'll plan to come over earlier...) If you are careful, you SHOULD be able to replace the battery (with the engine running or not) without ever disconnecting the actual battery leads. Have you tried a new battery? Also, caps DO filter, and if you haven't tried a cap in the system yet, I suppose you could go there...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Like i said earlier in this discussion, you may need to replace spark plug wires with suppressor wires, and maybe change the coil.  Also, some Ferrari's have a battery isolator between the battery negative and the chassis, which opens after the car starts and will cause a horrible ground loop if you connect to the battery negative.  I don't recall if the 360 has one of these, but it's why I suggested you need to either ground to the battery chassis connection directly OR to the alternator case directly.  Also, if it's a 2001 there was a recall for defective engine ground straps, so check that out as well.  Italian cars are TONS o fun.
Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks David and David. Doubt it's wires or plugs because it's definately alt whine as opposed spark noise. Ham what time could you make it by? My shop is actually going to be closed Sat. because I'm going to Laguna Seca for the American Le Mans race. I could wait and leave a little later. Let me know.
There is no such thing as free installation!
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
I see... tix to Laguna, and no mention whatsoever... nice... Ferrari Engine Noise - Page 5 -- posted image.
I could be there by 9-ish, earlier if really necessary. I had no other plans than hanging out in the area and having lunch or dinner with a friend. Except maybe that wine thing at Rosilez... <grin>
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Was hoping to leave here around 8:00 AM. Will you still be in town Sunday morning?
haemphyst 
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
No, unfortunately, I have to be in Fresno at 6AM. How 'bout this? I'm meeting my friend for breakfast at Margie's in Paso - ya know, right at the end of 46 - at 8am. I'll bring it with me, and you could pick it up from me there. You could then use it, and the next time I come over, I'll pick it up from ya...
Lemme know how that sounds!
haemphyst 
Posted: October 20, 2007 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
Well, Bob... you didn't answer, but I'll have it with me, if you'd like to stop and grab it!
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2007 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Well today was another big giant waste of time. Jack Finks was over Friday Ham and he pretty much made the same suggestions you did. First we ran a piece of 4 ga. from the frame where the engine is mounted to the ground D-Block. Nothing. Then we switched out the Alpine PDX-4.100 for a JL 300/4. When it was hooked up to the door speakers, it still had noise. But when we hooked it up to an outboard test speaker the noise went away! Tomorrow we are going to hook up the door speakers to an amp in our display board ( eliminate the car amp ) and if it still has noise I'm ripping out those %#@&$%# Focals and putting in some JL Vrs. Also hounds used your scope Ham and he thinks he saw some AC. He will PM you tomorrow. ARRRGGGG.........
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2007 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
But when we hooked it up to an outboard test speaker the noise went away! Tomorrow we are going to hook up the door speakers to an amp in our display board ( eliminate the car amp ) and if it still has noise I'm ripping out those %#@&$%# Focals and putting in some JL Vrs. Also hounds used your scope Ham and he thinks he saw some AC. He will PM you tomorrow. ARRRGGGG.........

Idea... what happens if you isolate the focals from chasis or can you? Yes I know what a pain it is to get into those doors...but you said the noise went away when you floated the spaekers by going to the outside speakers...thin ruber gasket between the speaker frame drill piolet holes outside the screw holes and run double zip ties to hold them in place....just a thought...

I'll duck under cover for suggesting zip ties but they are non-conductive unless you have plastic screws. Or Amp used to make amplifier isolators that had a machine screw and the nut was surrounded in ruber. It was basicly a ruber T-Nut; I have some here that I use to mount my amps on the plexyglass. I have no idea if they make them any more...

tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2007 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Well here we are, another day in Ferrari hell. Hooked up the door speakers to our PDX-4.150 in our display board. No noise. So that says the problem is the amp or amp location. Completely contradicts the test speaker not having noise on the JL 300/4. Got a 5 farad hybrid cap coming in this afternoon. Fingers are crossed.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic