icon

what happened to roadshop?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
I heard Circuit City Roadshop is now Firedog? WTH happened there?
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Ummm... yeah, for like, 3 months, now! what happened to roadshop? -- posted image.
Still the HIGH quality installers they always were, I'm sure!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
yup. Its circuit city's new way of combining all of its services. I will personally always call it the roadshop outside the store, but its their new thing. And as for your comment haemphyst.... not all of us are as "high quality" as you think. There are some of us who actually care about the installs we do enough to do them correctly. Every car I do, my #1 goal is to have dealerships actually tell my customer that their vehicle problem was NOT caused by the starter/radio/etc because it WAS installed properly (which has actually happened twice believe it or not). And the poor installers out there shouldnt reflect directly on all of us.
/end rant
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Apparently, you missed the dripping sarcasm. I'll try to lay it on a bit thicker, next time! what happened to roadshop? -- posted image.
I agree, there are probably more than a few installers like yourself, working for Circuit City and caring about the quality of your installations, but I can assure you that you are in the minority. I have gutted more Circuit City installs to start over than I care to count.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
ya boy mike 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
Man I'm a CC installer myself, it sucks hearing that, but I believe you, I'm sure its true, I have seen a couple just in my store alone, luckily they are gone though
It Hz
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
oh i agree its true... i just cant stand it because it kills the reputation of us few good installers. Granted, Im not the best, and I dont think I will ever be, but i do take pride in what I do.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
I think it is a problem that the people who don't care about their job always make it more difficult on the ones who do, no matter what field your in.
giganticprune 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

up untill about a month ago i was a supervisor for roadshop.

you probably wont find anyone to call it  firedog car or mobile firedog like they wanted us to for at least a year.

cant think of a single person associated with the new deceased roadshop who was happy about the name change. but in reality, no one was able to recognize who roadshop was associated with. when corporate did a survey i think less than 10% of people knew what roadshop was or where to get it.

its actually a pretty smart move, but it just sounds dumb

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

I'm a former Roadshop employee myself and I would put my knowledge/ability up against almost any 'ma and pa' installer.

I'm not saying I am/was the perfect installer, but I know my way around cars and electronics and I am a self-motivated perfectionist!

Sadly, though. like mentioned above, I worked side by side with people who had no business operating a screw driver!

Kevin Pierson
giganticprune 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

I'm a former Roadshop employee myself and I would put my knowledge/ability up against almost any 'ma and pa' installer.

I'm not saying I am/was the perfect installer, but I know my way around cars and electronics and I am a self-motivated perfectionist!

Sadly, though. like mentioned above, I worked side by side with people who had no business operating a screw driver!

ill just go ahead and say how the hiring process goes for installers alot of the time. as you could have guessed. you dont need to know anything about cars at all. as long as your availability is okay and youre not a convicted felon, you can get the job. so theres plenty of morons out there, just like at best buy

but there are also people with incredible talent in the big box stores too. one of the kids we hired in had stunning fabrication skills (check some of his stuff out at bangnaudio.com) and also if you work there long enough, you just know everything. but also, there are people who work there for years and cant figure out how to re-wire a monsoon system in a grand am...

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic